Saturday 28 April 2012

Nothing Lights a Fire Under Your Butt Like Company Coming

Well I think I mentioned that I was going to get a handle on things around here and do it with a positive thought. Trust me after today, I have and I did. I'm thinking that, in the spirit of all honesty though, it was more the fact that I am going to have a house full of people this coming Wednesday that got me cleaning like a fiend than any new agey, positive thinking self improvement shenanigans. My book club is coming!!! ACK!!! To my house!! ACK!!! EEK!!! I totally forgot I had said we could use my place for the upcoming meeting and now I am firmly up to my you-know-what in deep do-do. Crap. These ladies cannot see what a mess I can create in my home and ignore for days, weeks even. This will never do.

What was I saying about a change of attitude and a positive thought? It's coming back to me. Every cloud has a silver lining and so on. With a deadline looming, I cannot put anything off, things must be done, stock must be taken, plans and lists must be made. So keeping in mind that when folk come to visit they like to have a place to sit, room to move and possibly access to a bathroom that you could use without cringing I formulated a plan and kicked it into gear this morning.

Some things were routine.  I woke when my body said it was time to get up, ( a perk of the weekend I most enjoy and do not give up easily), I ate breakfast and then got going. First order of business was finishing the painting in the red bedroom. The back of the door, the inside of the window frame and the last couple of base boards needed doing. So slap, slap, slappity, slap and the first coat of paint on and left drying.

I then moved some of the stuff back into the room, hung a few pictures and shelves, admired my work briefly before descended to the lower level to commence cleaning the main floor. I started in the laundry room and worked my way out to the kitchen, polishing, purging and organizing my way to the dining room and beyond. The paint required four hours to dry between coats and that is how long I took to get those three rooms looking like they should. I have some stuff to move to the shed that is currently in the dining room but that can wait until tomorrow. I have to make space in the shed first. ( Have I ever mentioned I live in a big jig saw puzzle? Well I do). I did take a short break to have a breather but mostly I worked. I started the living room but did not finish it. Plain and simple I ran out of steam. I still have some daylight left but I am tired so not much may happen.  I am glad to say that so many things that have been sitting untouched for months have now been sorted, put away and or dealt with. Mom would be proud.

Where was I? Oh yes, cleaning, cleaning and umm more cleaning.  Four hours later, I hiked back upstairs and painted the last coat on the trim. moved a few more things back into their places, cleaned up some of the painting tools. At sat down on the bed once again to admire my handy work. The room looks fantastic in my opinion. I love the grey paint, the white trim looks so crisp and clean. I painted the furniture white at the suggestion of the Hostess and she was right, it looks good. By tomorrow I should have the room back in order and I will be able to post before and after pictures of the whole deal. It will be lovely to get the room back in order. I am already eyeing up my room and plotting the reno on it.

Tomorrow I will finish the downstairs cleaning and do the laundry. I will put the red room back together and take pictures. I would like to plant some marigold seeds tomorrow and at least clean up the front yard. I could almost mow the lawn already!!. Its April for crying out loud. Oh yes I have some donation stuff that I am going to deal with tomorrow and then I may just pass out. This old broad is not used to all this working. I also need to clean the drain in the shower and patch paint my stairway. I have bashed the heck out the paint on the stairs hauling things up and down. Then I plan to reward myself with a nap or several. After I make soup, and sweep the veranda and wash the front window and...........where did I put that bottle of wine???

Hope your weekend is going well.

Toodles, Linda


No comments:

Post a Comment