Wednesday 21 November 2012

Mystery Vapor Rub

Yes I am still getting over my cold but it is much better and the infection in my chest is going away so I am getting to  be a happy bunny once again. It is my cold that drew my attention to a mystery in my house. Its a simple unassuming jar of good old Vick's Vapor Rub.

What is so mysterious about that you may ask, well I will tell you. It has been in my house forever. I have no memory of ever buying it. It has just always been in the medicine chest. I have no memory of ever looking in the cabinet and it not being there, sitting quietly on the shelf in every home I have lived in since leaving my parents home. I have lots of memories of being out on my own for the first time and going to get something that was always in my Mother's house but strangely was not in mine. Being frustrated or amused as I discovered something else that had to be purchased. A loaf pan for making meat loaf the first time, cookie sheets and a can opener are a few that spring to mind with a chuckle at my then shock that the normal things were not in my cupboards. Kresge's Five and Dime was my favourite shop to get these everyday essentials back in the day. I have no memory of getting this jar of Vicks. Which I suppose is not that strange but this would be a purchase made when sick, it may just cling to the memory portion of the brain but maybe not. My mystery does not end here though.

The other weird thing about this jar is it has always been half full. For as long as I can remember it has been half full, and I have used it. I use it when I have a cold and yet after all these years its still here and its still half full. It makes me wonder..........WTH is up with the jar of Vick's??? I get a cold at least once year and I have maintained my own home for a lot of years. The jar should be dry by now and yet when I went for it this time, it was half full. Its mysterious and I find it entertaining in a way. One of the little mysteries in my life that make me think and puzzle and smile all at the same time.

Yes I know I'm weird but my family and friends love me anyway!!

Toodles.
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment