Tuesday 6 November 2012

Family Phone Calls

I had a lovely chat with the Carpenter tonight. We don't talk a lot on the phone. He is a quiet soul, not given to talking a lot, not like his sister who thinks nothing of clocking up a three hour phone call. I chat it up on the phone so much I had to invest in a mobile, hands free phone so I could move around during my marathon phone calls. The Carpenter is not of that bent.

But sometimes, upon occasion, he will call and we have wonderful talks. Tonight was such a night. Busy was out being busy at a special Olympics meeting so my dear brother called me. In makes me so happy when we have these chats. I talk to my oldest brother every week almost, The Historian is more of a talker, we started this when Mom died and have carried on ever since. Both my brothers love me, of  this I have no doubts as I love them both to the bone but they are totally different and yet the same in some ways. Calls from the Carpenter are fewer than from the Historian but no less precious to me.

There is a big time span between my brothers and I . The Historian graduated from high school the same year I started grade one. I barely remember him living at home. I have memories of watching him trying to make his curly hair slick back into a ducktail. Brilcreme to the rescue!!!  And playing air guitar around the living room, that sort of thing. The Carpenter is only 5 years older than I. He is the one I grew up with. He suffered me tagging about behind him, wanting to be doing all that things he did. As I look back on it now, he was pretty tolerant but at the time I could not understand why he was not totally and completely thrilled to have me around. ALL THE TIME!!

He is the one who taught me to ride a bike and tie my shoes. How to make a snow fort and burn wood with a magnifying glass. He was bigger, smarter and at times frustrated the crap out of me. Thankfully over time I came to appreciate him and quite frankly I would not trade him for anything.

Brothers, who knew they would turn out so nice??

Toodles,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment