Saturday 16 July 2011

A Saleing I did go

My friend the Banker and I headed out this morning to hit some garage sales, antique stores and any other thing that struck our fancy. I love garage sales, I love a bargain, I love finding things I can fix up and reuse. It tickles me from nose to toes. The Banker and I are perfect shopping partners because she loves yard sales and second hand stores as much as I do. Today was a wonderful day and for $26.00 I came home with some real treasures in my opinion! Lets have a look shall we:

I found this pretty metal plant stand and thought it would just suit my veranda and I was right! The green of the stand matches the trim on the house. It just needs pots of pansies and inpatients to make it complete. It also folds flat for storage. My most expensive buy of the day at $5.00.

This votive ring was only a dollar. The Christmas greenery can be removed and you can dress it up for any occasion or leave it plain for a center piece


10 snowy white linen dinner napkins with white embroidery and two pretty brooches. I have a complete weakness for brooches and table linens, especially old table linens.


This little horn makes the best noise, it sounds like it looks like it should sound and the lady at that sale gave it to me for free!!


This is my favorite pick of the day. Its a pencil box, just like the one I had when I was in grade two or three. I paid $2.00 for it even though the man that owned it tried to get me to pay $40.00, because its an antique you know. Too bad his wife had it on the dollar/ 2 dollar table. She let me have it for $2.00, no way in hell I was paying $40.00




This chrome serving dish caught my eye and may be a gift for someone. It needs a good wash and some steel wool on the handle and it will be perfect. 15 cents and it came home with me.


I am not sure what this is, the center lid lifts off, the bottom is rounded and two ends have a dividing ridge in them almost like a compact would fit in there, or maybe to hold bracelets?? Some sort of trinket box?? I love it because its quirky and obviously old. I hope I find out what it is for.


Eight little butterfly napkin rings for 25 cents total  for the bunch. Love it!!


These babies need some TLC  for sure. $2.00 each, could not pass them up. The backs are in good shape just need a cleaning. The seats I am going to recover in black. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures but  the backs are black and cream, with just a touch of green.They don't look it in the picture but the two chairs are the same colour. I will put them in my craft room, one at the computer and one at the sewing table. The chairs I have there now are on their last legs and certainly do not match.

The snoopervisor is checking out a Christmas cake/dainty stand that I am going to paint black instead of the tacky gold it is now. I have at least one Christmas plate that will be perfect on it, not to mention it will be fun finding two more plates for it. At the grand old price of  $1.00 and I could not pass it up. It will look lovely on my buffet at Christmas time.


A glass flower frog and a peanut shaped candlewick dish rounded out the day. The frog will fit in a lace edged milk glass compote and will  mean  that I have frogs for all the compotes now. I collect candlewick dishes so I did a little happy dance to get this dish for a dollar. I can use it for pickles or candy.



See how nicely the frog fits in my compote. Just perfect for fresh cut flowers


We rounded out the day with a snoop through a recently opened antique store, then lunch  at her house, a movie (the Lincoln Lawyer), much talking and then supper. Finally we called it a day  and she delivered me home with all my treasures. Oh its been a good day!!  I am now going to find something to watch on TV and knit for the rest of the night. I am tired and happy and I still have money in my pocket!! Tomorrow when I am at the fabric store buying quilt batts I will have to see if I can find some black vinyl to cover the seats of the chairs.

Days like today, I could use a lot more of!!

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment