Saturday 29 September 2012

Purging, Purging, Purging

I have finally started!! My weekend plans changed so I decided to make very good use of this gift of time and I would start on this purging project that I have pondered on and fussed over and obsessed over for longer than needed to be. Today I started. Hummingbird got me going bright and early. Thanks for the kick start.

She needed to borrow my air compressor. Borrowing the air compressor means a trip to my basement. In any other house this is quick and easy, in my house its an adventure. So I was up early, moved the eleventy million things that sit on the celler door, organized all the stuff that needed to go down there and hauled the compressor up. FABULOUS!! (in the best sense of the word). I got stuff put away, I made room, I got the smoke alarm battery changed, its was glorious and I did a little dance of joy. Then I decided while I was up and going I would purge the bathroom. Step one of the plan.

Like any other female in this world I have tons of stuff in my bathroom that is old, out of date and should not be used on one's person. It was time for it all to go. I have two lovely big cupboards in my bathroom that are full of said stuff. I present to you the before pictures:

Yikes

Oh look empty spaces

So armed with a garbage bag and a donation box, I went to work. It did not take long, as usual. You would think I could remember that little tid bit of information from one project to the other but I never seem to. I like to think its going to be a massive job and it will take hours. I get to be more of a martyr that way. So jumping in with both feet first, I got stuck in  and this was the end result.

Lots of empty spaces

Now the "not often used" stuff is tucked in the far cupboard.
It is a far better use of space.

Now in my last blog post I mentioned moving a tiered table into the living room. I have this space behind my favourite chair that is wasted real estate and in my small house all the storage space I can grab is greatly needed.I moved this little white metal table from the laundry room to its new home, a perfect fit. Dance of joy ensued.

For a long time I had been looking for something to fit back there but could not find anything to buy. This is something I have to work on about myself. I am so quick to think I need to "buy" something, Instead of looking around the house, taking some time and not being so quick to flash the cash. The metal table was a perfect fit and it saved me some money.I figured I would have to go buy some baskets or something to use on it to store stuff and make it tidy. There I go again, quick to the mark to think I have to spend more money. Stop it already!!

While I was upstairs kicking hell out of the bathroom I wandered into the spare room to find something. There on the floor sat a pile of DVD storage boxes I purchased at IKEA some time ago but no longer needed for the DVD's. Pretty tidy little boxes, piled on the floor, doing nothing but being in the way. Hmm, something in my head said they would fit on the white table. I had my doubts but tried them and they are a perfect fit. (Third dance of joy of the day) So there I had what I needed to do what I needed without having to spend a dime.

Made to measure,a perfect fit AND free,
not a bad deal.

The boxes are currently empty but trust me they will find things to hold soon enough. No doubt about that in this house. Well I need to go rustle up some lunch and then get a finishing off Busy's table runner. Whoot, it is  such a good day!!

Toodles
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment