Sunday 30 September 2012

Disaster Averted or Making Busy's Table Runner

Its done, its done, its done and I am so happy. Its been such fun to make this runner because I tried paper piecing for the first time and I am hooked on that now. I have bought a pattern book now that I have tried it and I will be practicing up my technique on this. I see many lovely creations in my future.

Back to the runner. I was happily tootling along with this project and then CRISIS OF ASTRONOMICAL PROPORTIONS!! I was six inches short on the main colour. ARRRGH!!!! What is the problem you say? Go to the store and get some more you say?? Pfft!!! Well smartypants, I bought the material more than a year ago and I bought it in another province. I was doomed!!! I cannot believe that this happened to me, I always buy too much material. (Banged head repeatedly on sewing table). Then I remembered that yes I had not purchased enough of the main colour but I had over bought one of the lesser colours. Once again I loved me and my excessive ways. The sun came out, the angels sang and all was well with the world again.

Here is the finished project my very first paper pieced creation. There are some flaws but all in all I am happy with the results and I will be doing this technique again. The pattern is called Midnight Cactus ( the pattern said to use black, blue and  purple, I went with Busy's home decor colours)
See all those pale green triangles, they should be beige but don't tell anyone I screwed up

All in all I am happy with it and I am hoping that she will like it as well. Best of all it is finished and ready to be delivered on Thanksgiving weekend.

Another wonderful thing that has happened in this house is that I have finally figured out how to fix the drain  that I managed to yank right out of the bottom of the shower. I am a tad rammy at times when I go to do something and then I am left with a mess I need to clean up. I know how to clean this one up now and I could not be happier. No calling a plumber and no replacing anything. I can use what is already there and get the drain to stay put. It just took a trip to the basement yesterday to check things out and a little googling and I know what to do now. Currently the drain is soaking in the kitchen because it is rather yucky and I want to give it a good clean before I put it back in place. Another trip to the basement is good because I can shut off the water to the outside tap that I forgot to look after yesterday.

Last night I and about 40 other people headed to a local British style pub to celebrate Teddy Bear's birthday. The No Cook gals were there and some folk from the building I work in and some people I know from my old job. We had a lovely time. Got to met the Banker's new man and he passed muster, brave man that he was sitting with all the No Cook Ladies.  He seems to be a very nice man and she seems to be thrilled with him. It is a lovely thing to see her so happy. The party was a complete surprise to Teddy Bear, she was speechless and totally pleased. 

Speaking of my friend the Banker, she is off to Toronto today to do the edge walk at the CN Tower, the nut burger!! She is taking her grandson with her and it will be interesting to see if he will manage it. He was more scared than she was. I just hope they both come home in one piece.

Today was quiet. The Hostess and I went to an open house just so we could snoop around a house that her nephew built. It was lovely!! Then a spot of shopping and we rounded out the day with an iced coffee. Yum. I bought myself two new shirts for work and left a lovey red number at the store because it was not really a work thing so to buy it would have been just an indulgence. I cannot afford to do that right now. Still paying for the school reunion weekend fun 

I have had a lovely weekend!! I hope your's was as well. 

Toodles
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment