Sunday 15 July 2012

Forever in Blue Jeans

I am back, back from 5 days with Best Friend, back from the Neil Diamond concert and trying to convince myself its back to the normal routine again. I am not easily convinced, I want more days off. I always have such a good time with her but we never have enough time to do all that we want. Oh well, I will just have to go back there soon.

First things first, the Neil Diamond concert. Well to quote my face book status "I have sung as much at other concerts but I have never danced so much with my arms over my head SOBER in my entire life!! At age 71 Mr Diamond ROCKED IT OUT!!. No back up band, no intermission just two hours of a solid powerhouse performance." The man still has his pipes although at the end of the show you could hear a little rasp in his voice. So much energy, so much mutual appreciation between the man and his fans. We found out right away that he likes his audience to stand and sing with him. This is rewarded with an enthusiastic "one more time" from the man himself and we were treated to another round of  Forever in Blue Jeans from the second bridge to the end. We got FOUR repeats of the last chorus and verse of Sweet Caroline. One of the Sweet Caroline repeats he asked us to sing to him and he took a break. 13000 people obliged him and sang it back to him while he smiled at us, hand over his heart. His back up band is incredible. He has the obligatory trio of sparkly girl singers who belt it out with the best of them. Its such fun to go to a concert where the performer appreciates the audience and the audience appreciates the performer. I was so glad when he treated us to the rock and roll version of "When I Saw Her Face". I do not like it as a ballad, not even a little bit.  He still can give a great performance, still gives me the tingles when he sings the line "play me". It was well worth the trip.

Best Friend and I had a lovely time doing stuff besides swooning over Neil. I arrived on Wednesday in the mid afternoon. Before I got to her house I did manage a visit with my eldest brother, the Historian and his Mrs. which was an unexpected treat. They did not think they would be home when I was zipping through as they had a prior engagement but I arrived before they left so we had some time to catch up. Thursday Best Friend and I took a load of stuff out to the family camp that she attends each year with her girls. We hauled, food, sleeping bags, dishes and all the sorts of things on needs for a week in a cabin that has nothing. Her youngest daughter came with us and we left her out there. Driving to the lake took the entire day. Its a nice place to be, I am a little jealous that she has a week at the lake and I am back to work.

Friday we took to the City, had our tarot cards read, did a tiny bit of shopping, went for supper then hit the concert. Saturday was a lazy day, sleeping in, lunch at a tea room in a neighbouring village which is also an art gallery and play house. After that, it was back to her house for a lazy afternoon, pizza supper and watching Calamity Jane on TMC. All too soon it was Sunday, a flurry of loading cars, off to the city for breakfast at Grainfield's then I for home and she for the weeks camping with her girls. Now I am here.

It is good to be home again but I could have used some more days away. Minou is pleased to see me. Well as pleased as she allows herself to be. I have been granted the rare thrill of providing three belly rubs to Madam since I came home. A sure sign she missed me. Teddy Bear took great care of her while I was away. My flowers are looking lovely, the day lilies in the back have bloomed for the first time ever since I moved to this house. Just when I had thought I would dig them out and replace them with something else they go all bloomy and pretty on me. Hmmph!!

All in all, it was a lovey 5 days.

Toodles,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment