Sunday 26 February 2012

A Little Weekend Reno Project

Yes I am a bad blogger, I haven't posted for a few days. Fact is I have had nothing much to say. I'd like to be all witty and pithy and entertaining but straight up......I got  nothin'. I tried but I just could not think up anything blog worthy. So now you have to put up with my little reno project. I deemed it blog worthy.

I have/had these two stacked white cabinets for over 20 years and they have seen better days. They are done, they don't come clean anymore when I wipe them down and they are falling apart, time to send them off to the great beyond and time to get something new. Doors no longer close and in fact the door on the top cabinet falls off if you look sideways at it and that is most annoying when it bounces off your foot first thing in the morning as you are trying to get the cat her breakfast.                                                                                                


So it was time for it to go but I need the storage space. Its my pantry. What to do, what to do. No money for a custom built in with lovely doors. Hmmm.

Well when Best Friend was visiting Canadian Tire had that sale that I have mentioned before. They had a bookcase that would fit in the space available for the pantry and it was on for $29.99 a much better deal than $42.00 at Walmart SO I bought one. Its taller than the white pantry and while it is not white it will do. I have saved the shelves from the original to get more storage space as the book case only has three shelves that come with it. No sense in wasting all that space.

I bought the book case and left it in my front entry way for three weeks until today  when I finally got busy and put the thing together. I moved out the white cabinets and got the shelf in place. I am pleased with it. It holds all I need it to hold and it fits nicely in the space allotted for the pantry. Yes its not a custom built in but it makes do and it saved me a lot of money. Budget is very important to me at the moment.

I am not going to leave it all exposed like this. I do not like that. I can never get my stuff to look neat and pretty enough to remain uncovered to the world. Well not something like tins of tuna and the cereal boxes. So I am going with the obvious choice of a curtain.  I also plan to paint it one of these days. I am not a fan of the wood grain in the kitchen when all the other cabinets are painted. I also have to decide what to paint it. I am thinking white like the other one was.

A quick trip to the local thrift store provided a $3.00 sheet that will make a lovely curtain to hid all the pantry evils. Its more periwinkle than blue but a quick dye job and it will be blue enough.

Ahem......I do hope when you are looking at these pictures you will totally ignore the craptastic disaster that is my laundry room. Looks like I need to do a major purge/clean out/ blow it up/get the flame thrower session in there. Why are all those paint cans still sitting there?? Good Grief. Not to mention I hope to live long enough to get the top of the deep freeze cleaned off. We fight a battle that deep freeze top and I, I clear it off and it insists on loading itself back up again the moment my back is turned. Honestly, it makes me crazy.

Ok back to the pantry, I am happy with it, I will be more happy when the curtain is sewn up and hanging where it should hang. That little job is on my list for tomorrow, that and the last two felt animals for JR. Its going to be a snow day tomorrow so I think it will be perfect to stay in the sewing room and watch Camelot while sewing my heart out.

Toodles,

Linda

PS. All done but I still need to get the dye and make it more blue, but for now its all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment