Sunday 5 May 2013

The Magic of an Ordinary Day

I do not think that I can stress enough just how nice it is to wake on a Sunday morning without a dog barking you into the land of the living. It is complete bliss to gently wake to the sound of birds chirping, the cat purring, with only your internal clock nudging you into the day. Sunlight streaming through the windows and the entire day ahead of you to fill as you please.

So I got up, folded the laundry from last week, threw this weeks laundry down the stairs and then headed down there myself. First things first, I got Madam her breakfast because she is the most important being in the house. Miss Minou dined on tuna fish this morning, a treat for her. She REALLY likes the human stuff not the cat food tuna. I preferred bacon, eggs, toast and hashbrowns, with coffee and raspberry jam. A quick shower, then I was dressed and ready to get on with my day.

By getting on with my day I mean I took the carafe of coffee out on the veranda and sat out there for a spell. Its the first time this year, I drank my coffee and absorbed the warm weather, the quiet spring noises, just relaxed. I should have worked in the yard today, goodness knows there is lots that needs to be done, since nothing was done last year before the snow fell. It can wait, for today was to be filled with other things. Once the coffee carafe was empty, I pried myself off the porch and shuffled into the house to attend to the things I did not get done yesterday.

Once again I managed to talk myself out of going to Walmart. I will do that tomorrow after I have been walking. I think I should just not plan to go anywhere on Sundays. Sundays are meant for me to be home, puttering about the place. I think I will go running about on a Sunday but once I am up and about, I loose all urge to go anywhere. I just want to putter.  I got the laundry going, put turkey in the oven and scrubbed the heck out of the litter box. It has needed a serious cleaning for a long time but its a job best done outside. Once that was cleaned, replenished and returned to its place of residence, I was free to work on R's quilt for her granddaughter.

Today was a lovely day, filled with ordinary little things that mad me happy. I will share some of  what made me happy today:


Tea towels and kitchen towels hanging on the line, blowing gently in the warm spring breeze. I prefer to hang laundry out to dry. It smells so good when it comes back into the house. So fresh and clean. I my little yard the clothes line is really close to the fence so I have to be careful when hanging things out.


Hand knit dishcloths, clean and fresh, drying in the sun light. Takes me back to my childhood, when Mom hung all our clothes out side, winter and summer.


In between laundry loads, I have been working on this. An Endless Stars quilt for a precious little girl's new big girl bed. This quilt sews up remarkably quickly once you get at it. I should have the top nearly finished before I call it a day. It so girly with its pink and white scheme. I will add her name in pretty purple lettering once I get the top sewn together.

Right now it is supper time and I am going to and dine on some of this:


Didn't this turkey come out looking good enough to eat? Its been a while since I cooked a turkey but this one needed to get used up. Into the oven he went. I will freeze most of it but tonight will be a proper Sunday supper, turkey, potatoes and all! If only I had made pie it would be perfect but I certainly don't need a pie all to myself!! After supper I may keep sewing or I may knit for a bit. Its hard to say but I do know that whatever I decide to do I will enjoy and savor each moment. That is the magic of an ordinary day.

Toodles,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment