Monday 20 May 2013

Show and Share

Since I did not have any plans to go anywhere this long weekend I decided I would putter around the house and do some fun things for myself. I was on the veranda a while ago and I was looking at this:

Its a old wooden crate that I use between these chairs as a sort of an end table. Just a place to put down a drink if you need to but its not pretty. and the top is not very big so I had this bright idea.


I made a tray top for it. Its removable. I even put some strips of wood on the bottom of it so it will not slip and slide around on the top of the crate.


I am pleased with the results. I am thinking now that I do need to paint the rest of the crate to clean it up and make it pretty.


Yep it definitely needs to be painted. I am thinking white will be nice.

Then I did something I have been wanting to do for some time. These are my house numbers and I like them. I like the font and the size but I wanted to jazz them up a tad


Off they came this weekend and I turned them into this:


I like this much better. Guess I need to wash off the dirt mark left on the wall when I moved the 2.

I was looking at the veranda after I hung up the house numbers again and realized I have quite the mosaic tile collection going on there.  I have another little birdhouse to make. Not sure where I will put it, it may go at the back of the house where I am planning to make a little patio to put the barbecue.



I was in a mosaic tiling frenzy this weekend. I did this as well:



I have a shed in the back yard and my ultimate plan is to hang this crescent moon on it along with four tiled stars. I have two stars made and two more to do. Here are the finished ones and the other two will be different sizes.




I just have to figure out how the heck I am going to hang them up but that is the plan.

Right now I am putting off making a trip to Walmart. I forgot to get cat food on Saturday and I am sure Minou will be convinced I have decided to let her starve if I don't go and get her something today. I just don't feel like going out of the house but I must. Maybe some coffee first then I will be up to facing the stores.

Toodles,
Linda


Update: Yes I got cat food, Madam is no longer in danger of imminent starvation but enough about her I have more DIY, well one more that I managed to get done this weekend. I got the mirror changed in the entry way. Its the first step in a two part process. Here is the before shot.


This is a night table left by the former owner of my house and her full length mirror as well. I painted them both black and stuck them in the entry way to have a place to put mitts and extension cords.  Then I found an old picture frame that I liked better so I wanted to put the mirror in it. The frame was originally gold but I painted it black thinking it had to match the night stand. Quickly, as is the thing in my house, I found I needed more storage space before I got the mirror cut and reframed. The night stand was too small so I found a chest of drawers to replace it. I decided against painting it black. I think it will be too dark  in my small entry. Today I finally got the mirror switched out.



I am thinking of painting the main body of the chest a creamy white, staining the top and leaving it unpainted, then I will paint the mirror to match the creamy white chest and antique it a little to show off the fancy bits on the frame that you cannot see as its so black. Then I need to get the entry way painted. I long to see the last of the shiny silver wallpaper.

Toodles again
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment