Sunday 12 May 2013

Good News. Good Times, Ghosts and Gardening

Its been a wonderful weekend inspite of the fact that its a melancholy time for me. Reader's digest version of the reason my heart is a little heavy with sadness is this weekend was my Mama's birthday and its Mother's Day but she is not here for us to celebrate with. She would have been 90 this year and my oh my we would have had a big party for her. I am not going to dwell on that though, it will make me cry. So lets move onto other things.

Thursday night Mamabug came into town and a group of us went out for a get together after work because we never got to make a fuss when she left work. Ladybug stayed at home with Daddybug so Mamabug had the evening to her self. The good news is that she announced she is having a baby!!! I get another pretend grandchild!! I am so excited for them. She is feeling really good this time and everything seems to be going well. She looks so happy and healthy. What happy, happy news after the sickness and sadness of the last pregnancy with Doodlebug. I am happily starting to think of baby things and that I need to be making something for this little one. Oh such happy happy news. Baby is not due until November but I love the chance to think about making baby stuff.

Good times, on Friday night we had our No Cook group as always then instead of going to the coffee shop after we ate, we went up to S's place and gave her bedroom a good looking over, offered up decorating tips. She asked us for help as she wants to make changes and is lost as to what to do. The Banker and I LOVE this stuff so we were happy to have a look.  All of us gave suggestions and we have her bedroom figured out. We will be helping with the actual work to, not just giving advise. Its gonna look lovely, blue, green and orange all is sort of gentle dusty tones. I can't wait to see it finished.

Saturday I hopped in the car and headed to my Cousin's anniversary party. It has been so long since I was to a family get together. I was pleased to be invited and more than happy to go. They have been married 30 years so they renewed their vows and had a family barbecue afterward. Not many of our side were there, which was sad, but those that were, it was great to see them. It gave me a chance to see the new members of the family, see my only remaining Aunt and some cousins that I have not touched base with for some time. Busy and the Carpenter were there. Miss Mouse was home too, so she was able to come along. Lovely surprise. She had come home to spend Mother's day with Busy. They asked me to come home with them and as tempting as that was I decided to come back to my house that night so I would have today to get some stuff done.

Ghosts, oh my goodness the barbecue was peppered with ghosts. All my aunts and uncles, my Mom and Dad, who have gone, drifted around the edges of the gathering, there but not there, thought of , missed, much loved and always remembered. Before heading home I took a drive around the little town that was such a part of my childhood. It made me cry, my Uncle's store, my Grandmother's house, my Aunt's house, the Hall where we had so many happy family gatherings are all vacant lots now, except the hall which is a derelict, empty shell. The elevator still stands, that sentinel of the prairie that we watched for because it heralded the fact that we were close to Grandma's house. It too, is abandoned and left to fend for itself. The town is no more, two families of strangers live there now. I know things change but it still tugs at my heart that that part of my life is no more, its gone,family, friends, buildings and lives, all juts a  memory now.


Gardening, I did not go to visit with The Carpenter's family, I came home to have some time to actually have a day to work a little in the yard. I did get the front yard cleaned up today and that made me happy. It looks now like someone lives here and cares a little about the place. This made me sad though,


This is what happens when you do not put things away in the fall, Your cute, perfect, little cement mushrooms that you bought new last year, crack and break when you leave them outside all winter. Hmmph. I am mad at myself for not putting them away. Ah well, I can blame no one but me. I threw them out this morning and vowed to find something to replace them with and once I do I will take care of them


I raked up an entire bag of dead vegetation off the postage stamp lawn that is my front yard, cleaned off the flowerbeds and finally got rid of the headboard box that has been on the veranda forever. I even washed the tiles on the veranda table, got out the bird houses and flower pots. Its looking nice out there.


I had my coffee out on the veranda this morning as well. I love to sit out there and listen to the birds, soak in the warm breeze that drifts about and take in the quiet sounds of the neighbourhood on a sunny Sunday. Little green things are poking through the soil and green buds are showing on the lilac bushes. Spring may be here at last. I plan to spend the rest of the day finishing a quilt top and anything else my heart desires. The only "must do" left for today is laundry. I will do that and try my best to to think of Mother's day and all that used to be. I do not want to be sad on this day.

Toodles
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment