Thursday 22 September 2011

My Most Favourite Season

Autumn is coming, you can feel it in the air. There is a snap and a chill, the air nips at your nose and feels crisp and clean. The trees are getting ready to slip into their prettiest party dresses and the light makes all those earthy tones deeper and richer before the bleak white and grey of winter is upon us.

This is the time for cobblers, crisps, pies, hearty stews, spicy chili and thick rich soups with hearty home made breads. Its crisp apples that crack when you bite into them and sweet juice then rolls down your chin. Pumpkins, squashes and gourds abound. Scarecrows and sunflowers show their sunny friendly faces and the world is rich and plentiful. Its a time for cosy quilts, soft  woolly afghans, cats snoozing in a warm sunny spot, good books and steamy cups of tea.

I love it, I love it all. The coolness, the colours, the sounds and the smells. I wish it lasted longer and while I am sad it portends the coming of winter. I love this rich vibrant season while it lasts. My heart lifted a little when I stepped outside this morning and the end of my nose twitched with the nip in the air. Even the fact that there was a slight skim of frost on the back window of my car did not get me down. There is gold in the leaves which lets us know mother nature is getting ready to slow things down.

I am hoping to get at the yard work this weekend. Get some of the things cleaned up that have been left undone far to long. I have quilts to make, yard work to do, and friends to spend time with. Tomorrow is Friday and I am looking towards the weekend with eager anticipation. Tomorrow night I am off to a concert with a group from work.

Lots to do, lots to look foreward to. Ah, yes its a good thing,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment