Thursday 8 September 2011

Lovin' My Time at the Lake

Here is where I was for four heavenly days of doing nothing but what I wished to do. No television, no computer, no radio, only my cell phone. It was wonderful. I have always wanted to rent a cabin and spend some time at the lake. I would love to have my own cabin but this was a good substitute. A work friend let me use the family place for free. So off I went, with far too much stuff, but I always do that so that is nothing new.

How could you not love breakfast in the sun porch? All those windows open to the gentle cool breeze, birdsong drifting in with the air, squirrels playing tag while the morning sun filters through the pine trees. Isn't this the perfect retro table?  Its what I picture in my head when I daydream about a cabin.
There was knitting done and reading.I finished one panel and got 3/4's of another done on the afghan I am making for myself. Although you cannot see them there are books in the other basket. I finished one and got half way through another. Sitting here:
Out on the deck in the afternoon. What is missing is my glass of frosty iced tea. The huge pine trees shade this spot perfectly in the afternoons. Its very conducive for reading or napping. Both worked for me.
I got this quilt almost completely quilted. The stars are all done, just the strip around three sides, and the binding to be sewn and it will be finished. I cannot tell you how much I love to quilt and to have uninterrupted time to do it was the best of therapies for me. I can get it finished and deliver it to its new home this weekend. SQUEEEE!!!!

I do have to admit that I did have to come to terms with how much I depend on the TV for company. Its on all the time, if I am home, the box is on, because its company for me. I took loads of DVDs with me and I admit I watched/listened to a lot of them. I never realized how much I use the television to counterbalance being lonely. It was a bit of an eye opener for me. At times I made myself leave the TV turned off and made myself deal with the silence. Its good to turn off and just listen to the sounds that nature brings to us.

I shopped too, there is a really good second hand book store/fancy coffee shop close by. I indulged in lattes and fancy tarts for afternoon "tea" on a couple of days. I also bought a couple of books.  I meandered over to a near by town to check out their gift shop/tea room and left some money behind. Those of you that know me can stop rolling your eyes at any moment.  I also snooped through some of the shops that were still open at the resort. I bought a small painting that I fell in love with. Its an old farm yard by moonlight and I love it.  On the way home I stopped in and had a visit with Mommy and my Grandbaby. Ladybug is smiling now and she is too cute.

I want to go back again, for longer next time. The lake that is, I will be going back to visit Mommy and the Grandbaby, that is a given. I mean the lake and I would like to be up there when the flea market is on. They have wonderful local produce for sale.

I am also happy to be home again. There is lots to be said for your own bed and your own shower. :-) The best is I still have one more week of vacation time left. Going to go visit the Carpenter and Busy this weekend then Best Friend is coming for a few days. I LOVE VACATIONS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment