Sunday 16 February 2014

Little Bread and Butter Details of Life

All the drama of yesterday and this is still how the dining room looks:


I am giving serious thought to incorporating Christmas trees into the every day decor of this house because clearly they are not getting anywhere near the basement any time soon.  The ceramic  one goes upstairs where I go each and every night but there it sits, mocking me.

I had good intentions, I started out great guns this day. After breakfast, I slid into my coat, pulled on my gloves and headed out to shovel a path to the car. Now picture if you will a ridge of packed snow about 8 inched high that I am determined to chop up and shovel down to a level surface that I can walk on and not look like a little old lady doing the penguin shuffle. Lets just say the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak.

I worked for an hour, chopping, shoveling, chopping, huffing, puffing, shoveling, sweating, dealing with foggy glasses because my face is hot and the air is cold. I got about half way done before I pooped out and decided that the rest could wait for another day. Too  pooped to entertain the idea of hauling stuff to the basement, that is for dang sure.


I am not sure how well you can see it but the top squiggly red line is where the surface of the snow is and the bottom squiggly line is where level ground is. Inbetween is cement. Blargh!! It looks taller in the picture than it really is but its high enough. Maybe tomorrow I will get if finished. The car is parked out front at the moment because I have errands to run tomorrow. Errands the will result in hauling things into the house, not interested in shuffling from car to house with stuff. Of course, the pure joy of life is the fact the just after I went into the house,it began to snow and has done for most of the afternoon. SIGH!!! At least I can shovel what I did today with relative ease tomorrow. Unless it snows all night and then i just may have to rethink this whole idea of using the back door until spring.

Enough about snow, on to other things. I will share with you a little discovery that I made today. These are my slippers, I love these slippers. They are easy to get on, I love the leopard print fuzz, I wear them all the time. My floors are really cold and these babies keep my toes toasty.


Lately when I wear them, I notice that my heels are cold. What is that about? I have ignored it but today I flipped them over and this is what I saw. No wonder my heels are cold


I have worn the soles right off these poor little things, not only the soles, the foam and they are down to the lining is the only thing between my foot and the floor.  Mama needs a new pair of slippers. Now this is hardly amazing but its stuff like this that amazes me. Its like it never occurs to me that something can wear out and then when I notice it, its usually on its last legs. Sharp as a tack, me!! New slippers are on the shopping list.

I may not be the quickest bunny in the forest and I may not have the stamina that I need to shovel snow but I am good at somethings. I am good at this: This makes me happy from my head to my cold toes.....


I can make quilts. I think I have mentioned this before but I LOVE to make quilts. This is 1/4 of the top for the quilt my work place is going to raffle off to benefit our social committee. This was what I did this afternoon after the snow beat me up. (In between loads of laundry that is). It is what I intend to go back to after I finish this blog post.

Tomorrow I am off for some paint, some new slippers maybe and several other odds and ends that I have on my shopping  list. Shopping completed, I am going to get painting. I am looking foreward to it. It will make a nice change and take me one step further toward finally finishing the painting in this house. My bedroom and the entry way/upper hall are the only untouched surfaces in this house. They still have the stamp of the former owner. They need to be changed.

So there it is, all the bread and butter details that made up my Sunday. Well there is a knitting project on the go but I will share it when its all finished. Its too cute for words and its for me!!

I hope you are having a wonderful Sunday, doing things that make you happy.

Toodles,
Linda
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment