Thursday 7 June 2012

Baked Alive

Just as we were getting over the end/beginning of the month, death by duck pecking, they try to do us in another way. No air conditioning for an entire day in a three story cement building with tons of windows and nary a one of them opens. God forbid we should breath in any fresh air or try to jump to our death?? out an open window. The temp hovered around 28 to 30 Celsius. I bought died, I did. Thankfully I have a wee desk fan in my cubicle. I parked my sweaty self in front of it and stayed there for the majority of the day. Limiting movement as much as possible to avoid over heating or giving the old hot flashes any reason to kick off. They have been acting up enough lately, thank you very much. I was one limp noodle by the time I could leave the oven and get in my car, with the lovely air conditioning. Its hot and humid here, perfect storm weather.

My day did not end there. E is home with her hubby from their 35 DAYS in Europe and I had promised to pop in for tea after work. A blissfully air conditioned condo but we did not stay there, oh no no no. OK I am prefacing this by saying in my heart of hearts I was glad to help her. She has to do stuff like this alone as her husband is not in the best of health and neither is she very suited to grunt work. I am glad to be useful. So I am really not complaining even if its gonna sound like it. She wants to plant some pretty flowers on her balcony. Hint. Hint. Have I gone for plants yet?? Hint. Hint. Would sure like to get some plants for the balcony, HINT. HINT. I could not let her struggle on anymore finding ways to drop boulder like hints, we gulped down the tea and went in search of plants for her balcony.

We zipped round town, got flats of bedding plants, some lovely pots of plants and bags of soil, then hauled it all up to her second floor condo. She is the last condo at the end of the longest hallway I have ever seen in a building in this town. I was huffin' and a puffin' by the time we were finished in-spite of the fact there is an elevator. Somebody did not want to wait until Sunday and I could bring my hand truck over to cart the heavy stuff, so we did it manually.  She can happily pot her little heart out tomorrow and I have no doubt that she will make that balcony look lovely. She is missing the beautiful garden she had when they lived in the house. My quick cup of tea turned into a two and a half hour marathon and  I left with a promise to return on Sunday to take her out and about again. I did not get the potting soil I needed, I ran out of steam before I could manage it, so on Sunday I have to make a point of getting it regardless of what she plans. I did manage to get the last of the plants I need for the yard. I just need the soil to stick them into.

When  I got home I was starving and had no energy to make anything.I had planned to visit the Hostess tonight as she is back in the hospital, poor girl, but I did not have the time or any energy left to go. Can you call Nutella and rice crackers supper?? Can if I want to!!

Toodles,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment