Saturday 22 October 2011

Sew Perfect Reno

This is my old sewing table in my favorite room of my house, the craft room  First of all I must say that I constantly use my craft room so it is in a perpetual mess. UFO's all over the dang place.Once in awhile I turn up the music and dive in head first, clean and organize it to within an inch of its life but this does not last long. One or two projects later and its back to messy. I do need to purge the fabric and yarn stashes. They are verging on the hoarders level but that I will do another day. So back to the table reno. This table used to be my kitchen table before I bought this house. It was perfect for the tiny kitchen in my rental house but in the big kitchen here on the homestead it was lost. I did a barter with some puppets and acquired another table that will seat more than two people comfortably and does not look to tiny for the kitchen. I then moved this one into the craft room because I love it and I am not willing to part with it right now (or ever for that matter). My old old sewing table is out in the shed right now. It has folding legs. legs that fold up at the most inopportune times. Gives one a bit of a start when you are working away and suddenly the table drops out from under you.

See the top of my lovely table? My oldest brother, the Historian, put this top on for me. Its a recycled dream, the base and legs were in the basement of a house my family used to live in. They used to butcher meat on it so needless to say the old top needed to be replaced. I jumped up and down and begged my Mom to let me keep the base and legs. I had a plan and the Historian was my partner in crime. The new top is made of old reclaimed hockey sticks. How cool is that??

The Historian scrapped and stained and glued and varnished hockey stick handles until he had a lovely table top. The base and legs got a fresh coat of white paint and I had a perfect table.  Its not totally level but I loved the look of it. It was perfect for my little kitchen and now I am trying to protect it from getting ruined by my mad crafting skills.

This is the fun part of this table, he left the underside untouched, so you can still see the hockey sticks. It makes me smile.

The Banker, who loves to redecorate her house turned her third bedroom into a scrap booking/sewing room and she made herself two work tables from book cases and a pre-finished melamine board bought at a big box home reno store. When I saw her newly finished room I announced that I was totally going to steal  the idea from her. Its a cost friendly, quick fix for my problem. I sold knitted dishcloths to get the cash to get the components for my new table.

The work surface is bigger, the pre-finished board will stand up to my working on it, cutting material, and pinning stuff. The book cases are great storage. I have yet another place to show off my vintage tins and baskets. So here is what the new work surface looks like. I am so happy with the outcome.
Right now I am having a bit of a coffee break and feeling all smug and satisfied with myself. Of course all this self satisfaction is just a blissful cloud of denial because I do not have a pea-picking clue where I am going to store the table that I cannot part with. (Sigh) . I will figure it out, I always do. Right now its in the dining room with a pile of crap on it, cardboard from the bookcase boxes, tools, odds and ends that need to go back where they belong in other rooms of the house not the craft room. Once my coffee is finished I will deliver them to their proper places.

Laundry still needs to be dealt with and those bumper pads will be sewn this weekend. I have a "to do" list that is 27 items long and I have only gone through 14 of them so far. Must get back at it. Some time soon I will have to go and get a desk lamp for my new work table. So much to so, so little time. Yep, happier than a pig in a puddle, that's me!!

Toodles!!

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment