Saturday 15 October 2011

Catch up

Only worked two days this last week and let me tell you I could get used to a short work week. It was fantastic. Best Friend and her husband Railroader came for a flying visit. They got here on Wednesday night and left again on Friday morning. I took both days off so we could have maximum goofing off time and once they left I did not have to go back to work. They had commitments for Saturday so they left in reasonably good time on Friday. We had breakfast, then it was hugs and goodbyes and off they went.

We didn't do a lot, we talked, we shopped, we ate out. Railroader fixed my downstairs toilet so it now not longer keeps running when you flush. Lord I love it when a handy man comes to visit.:-) It saves me from having to figure out how to fix it myself. I could have but bless him, he did it for me.

I was sad to see them go. I always am when company leaves. Someone once asked me why, when I live alone, do I have such a hard time when company leaves. I am not sure. Is it because I am reminded how empty the house is, do I miss having someone to talk to and do stuff with? Could it be that the older I get the more lonely I feel? Probably a combo of all those things. It fades, the sadness does not linger overly long, the emptiness shrinks, the bread and butter details of normal life take over and I settle back down to what is ordinary and usual. Me and the cat rattlin' round the homestead.

So they left and the house echoed with an empty sound that not even the artificial sound generated by the TV can stomp down, I decided that I needed a treat. I took myself to the second hand stores.  Found a few things and by noon I was ready to face going home and getting back at the business of doing what needs to be done. I got a lovely milk glass pedestal cake stand, after I promised I would not buy any more milk glass. I also go a nice big yellow Pyrex mixing bowl and a cute little wooden Halloween decoration. The rest is not really worth mentioning, its just bits and pieces. I did however get Christmas presents for two people on my list. I am so excited. I love to find things I know people will like, for a really bargain price.

I finished the top secret baby quilt, I did dishes, went to the ballet with E. I love the ballet. I love the dancing. It astounds me at how strong they are, how effortless it looks, the fluidity and ease of movement has my jaw hanging open and I am pea green with envy. I can't imaging someone throwing me around the place like I was a feather. I cannot wrap my head around how that would feel. There has to be pain involved and yet you would never know it. I am even more boggled as time goes on and my own mobility is slowly decreasing and more and more painful each day. This two shall be addressed soon. I am a work in progress remember.

Today I FINALLY got the hazardous waste off my back step and to the depot. Our City only has only one each year and I missed last years. I have had paint cans and mystery stuff plunked on my back step forever and now its GONE!! I am so happy. I even scrapped the cardboard box it was sitting in, off the step and into the dumpster. After an hour at the depot. (with only one or two a year there is always a really big line-up to dump stuff) I came home, did a butt load of laundry, turned my hand to a little house work, boxed up some donations for the local charity shop and did some mosaic tiling on a plant stand I have had for years. No pictures because I need to go get some more tile, I ran out. Crap. I will go tomorrow and get enough to finish. Pictures later.

I am managing to stick to my "bring stuff in, then stuff has to go" out rule. I bought stuff yesterday and so I needed to find some things to get rid of. It keeps me from ending up on an episode of hoarders. Tonight I am going to work on the raffle quilt for our office. I promised to make them one for the Christmas raffle. I have some of it started and now I can get at it and maybe make most of the top before bedtime.  Tomorrow I will make the bumper pads for the crib quilt I finished today. I am also going to finish the plant stand tomorrow.

I may even put out the Halloween decorations tomorrow. I may leave it to next weekend I will see how the day goes. There is soup that needs to be made for next week's lunches sometime in the day. Right now I need to go and make supper. Comfort food from my childhood, Tuna Fish and Rice. Its rice (Duh!!) with a can of cream of mushroom soup and tuna fish poured over it. Mom used to make it and I still do once in a while. Its my substitute for someone else's Mac and Cheese.

Toodles,

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment