Thursday 5 December 2013

Christmas is Nipping at my Heels

Now that is a pretty visual but its true, The sand in the hour glass is sailing along at warp speed and I am dancing as fast as I can. We, as in my family, as in my brother and his family and they include me are having Christmas on the 14th. Everyone can be together on that day so that is when we will gather. I have a mile long list of things I would like to do, things I always do and things that I think I can do. Some of it will get done, the always do list which is of course gifts and baking, that is under control and will definitely be done.

The decorating will be drastically toned down this year and it will get done. Inspite of the fact that I managed to put up a smaller tree this year, totally decorate it only to discover I missed putting the lights on it. Sigh, my days as a fruit loop are getting more and more often. Thankfully its the smaller tree I usually have in the dining room so I can redecorate and add lights once I get the essentials taken care of. I am only doing two trees this year not the usual four. The Santa parade will line the stairs but I am not sure if I will put out all the Santa's. I will see how the time goes. The Dicken's village is out and just needs Mom's ceramic tree to complete it. Thanks to the Hostess I have enough houses and stores for my village now, it is complete. I used to always give my Mom grief about her ceramic tree but she loved it. Now she is gone I put it out every year. It has become a cherished decoration in this house. I look at it and think of Mom and it makes me happy. It lives in the center of the village in pride of place and I would have it no other way.

Christmas lights will go up tomorrow night on the veranda, since I finally got them out of the basement, along with the garland, bows and giant Christmas balls. It will take no time at all now I have them up and ready to be hung. I have to say I love how my little house looks, all dressed up for Christmas. Saturday morning will see the last of the Christmas shopping done.

Tonight I mixed up the first two batches of cookie dough and it is chilling in the fridge to be baked up over the weekend. Every year I happily make snackens, lemon crunch, cherry refidge cookies, candied pecans, butter tarts and this year I am adding gingerbread cookies. These treats will be produced and packed for consumption over the Christmas festivities. I love to bake and its a treat for me to have a chance to do lots of it. I have to say again I LOVE my kitchen aid mixer. I zoomed through the cookie dough tonight. Whee!!!!  

Stocking stuffers are present and accounted for. I am almost finished making the last of the Christmas gifts that I had planned. I have mended Miss Mouse's quilt and finished the Blarney night quilt for last year. Just did not have time to get this year's made to take with me. I will quilt it up after Christmas. All in all I am feeling good about what I have done and what I have left to do. I am not going to be able to do all the things that I wanted to but that is ok. I can aim for it next year.

My kitchen is a disaster and the house is a mess but oh my goodness I am going to go nuts this weekend and getter done!! I am going to stay home except for shopping Saturday morning. No more goofing off, just buckling down and getting my home ready for the holidays. I love this time of the year.

I hope your Christmas preparations, if that is what you are celebrating, are going well.

Toodles,
Linda
 

No comments:

Post a Comment