Monday 2 January 2012

Oh the best laid plans

Today I had high hopes, I had plans, I was gonna do stuff, I was going to accomplish a lot. I was going to start with a little bit of a sleep in because its the last day of the long weekend and I like to sleep in and ......I can if I want to........... so there. Then, after the sleeping in, I was going to turn into a whirling dervish of activity. I was going to do some shopping, get kitty litter, come home, put away all the Christmas do-dads, take down the tree, clean up the house and then sit back an enjoy the fruits of my labour. So far I have made soup. Sigh.

I could not get my butt going today. I got up late as planned, made a nice breakfast and then it just started to go down hill. I watched Sara Richardson and drank coffee and ignored the fact that the morning was slipping away. I like Sarah Richardson, I like her show and even though on her new shows her budgets are far beyond my reach, I still like to watch her. An hour and a half goes by, ACK!!! I drag myself out the door, to get gas in the car and kitty litter for her majesty. Somehow I ended up with some DVD's that I didn't know I needed when I left the house this morning but they lept into my cart at Wal-Mart. They may go back to the store. I have yet to decide that.

Ok its just now 1:00pm, I can still salvage the day, I have time to accomplish stuff but my chair and the afghan that I am making sent out a siren song and I was sucked in. I flipped on the new Oprah show I taped on my trusty DVR and I was gone. I did chat to my dear friend The Hostess for a bit and the rest of the day was gone in a haze of blog reading and napping and tv watching and generally doing nothing on my "To Do" list. I probably would not have made the soup but I needed something for supper.

Did I finish the university puppets .............No
Did I put away the Christmas decorations.................No
Did I clean up the house.................No
Did I finish the afghan................No
Will the world come to an end...................No

I spent some of today with regrets that I did not do what I set out to do. Then I had a good think about it and I decided that it's ok that I spent today doing next to nothing. I think I needed it. I needed to just look away from the "to do lists" and the quilt of not doing what I had planned. I just needed to relax and do nothing. I could use an entire month of this but I will make do with today. So I have decided not to look on this day with regret but with acceptance that I was doing exactly what I needed to do for me.

Tomorrow is back to work, the holidays are done and its time to get back to the day to day routine. To work on the wishes I have made for 2012 and to make this a better year than last. To finish the outstanding projects and work on the new ones.

The fact that I made soup is a fantastic first step. Its a small baby step but its a move towards getting back to taking my lunch to work and not buying it. I made a wish to be more frugal, and that potato soup is a start.

Now I am going to go and change the cat litter, flick on the tv in the living room and spend the rest of the night working on the afghan.

Tomorrow is fresh and new and full of endless possibilities. I will focus on that and see where it leads me.

Toodles, Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment