Sunday 8 January 2012

My very first Llama kiss

I just got home from a wonderful weekend visiting my friend Miss Miles out at her century farm. Her husband and son were away so she called and invited me to a girls weekend, sleepover and all . We went shopping, we talked, we ate and we talked some more. It was not all just fun, games and frivolity, no sir.  We She did chores, a baby was born and I got my first Llama kiss. Not bad for one weekend.
She lives in a big old brick house that was built in 1909. Its out in the middle of no where, like most farms on the Canadian prairie. Its quiet and peaceful and you can  see why she likes to be there. They have animals and for them that is as important as breathing.  This farm is an inheritance and sadly like all old houses it needs a lot of work, Miss Miles and her husband  are unsure if they will stay there so they don't know if they want to get into the renovation frenzy this house would require, for now it is in limbo.
I mentioned they have animals  so lets go see some of the livestock. They have recently started to  raise goats. This was the welcoming committee as we she came out to water them. They received a treat of some pine tree branches to munch on while the water was being fetched.

Yes I am too sexy



There are the llamas, back there by the hay bale. Its Annie and Dolly Llama. I see lots of knitted mitts and socks on those to but I am getting ahead of my spinning skills.  I can not tell which is which but Miss Miles knows. She has names for almost all the critters on this farm

 We were walking around the pen, checking the goats and looking at the cows in the next corral when IT happened. I had my back to the llamas, and before I go any farther I need to confess that I do not always know when someone is behind me. Its a trait that has provided my brothers great joy over my lifetime and has caused me many a heart failure.  So there I am standing in the pen, minding my own business, when out of the blue,these lips land gently on the back of my neck and warm breath is snorted onto said neck. The result was instant heart stoppage, knees that commence sweating and breathing ceases as we know it. All I can say is "thank God I'm not a screamer". Annie, in her sweet friendly way, sashayed  up behind me and gave me a peck on the neck. Miss Miles dissolved in a fit of giggles and I may recover in my next life time. Moving on:
They have cattle, most of whom were camera shy but this very handsome bull was more than happy to provide me with a little beefcake centerfold material
There are tiny horses, (two of the little cuties) and there are 
big horses. This is Oden, the others were out in the pasture and were not available for photos.

Cats by the dozen













Theses kitties are lined up at the buffet table waiting patiently for their breakfast. They dine on the table to avoid the dogs getting into their food. The moment Miss Miles arrives in the barn they start to line up for chow.









Here he is, this is the new baby. He is a little ram, born on Saturday night  and still a little wobbly on Sunday. No name for him yet. His Mama is still checking him over and Miss Miles is keeping close watch. He is still getting the hang of eating so he needs some help to get it all figured out
After we she got the newest addition happily gobbling down his breakfast, we headed off to water the youngsters. Here are the kids, well some of them, they were bouncing and running around so much it was hard to catch them with the camera. There was much playful head butting and posturing like youngsters do.

This little fellow is Cadbury, Cadbury loves Miss Miles and she loves him. Its a mutual adoration society between the two of them.
All of her animals are fat, happy and well cared for, just as animals should be. I am sure she would have them in the house with her if she could. Horses, cows, llamas, goats, 12 cats and three dogs, all loved and cared for.( Just an fyi not all 12 cats live in the barn a good portion are house cats and are fixed). Its great fun sitting and chatting when suddenly one of the kittens launches themselves at your leg, deciding that you are perfectly good for a jungle gym. One forgets how sharp little kitten claws can be. Seriously though one look into those sweet little faces and you forgive them the impromptu acupuncture treatment.

Piper the Neapolitan Mastiff stoically tolerates the whole shenanigans.
I had a wonderful weekend, Miss Miles and I don't get a chance to visit very often. I  hope that your weekend was equally fun.

Toodles,
Linda

1 comment:

  1. oh man I would love some llamas and some miniature horses! I love her house. It looks so cool. I love old homes. Thanks roe reading my blather. Glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete