Saturday 17 August 2013

Adventures in Shopping and Customer Service

I am not an unreasonable person (imo)and I honestly don't think I have outrageous expectations. I will own to being impatient and quick tempered. That being said, I appreciate customer service, good customer service. I really do not like to be mislead. This little song and dance that lead me to being annoyed to beyond endurance began with an impulse. I got a Kindle e-reader at a local pharmacy with my "points". Never wanted one an if I was not going on a dream of a life time vacation, and it had not been on sale and I did not have enough points to cover the cost, I would have gone on my way but I didn't. I bought it, I did not ask questions but I was not told there were any special circumstances or rules when getting said item. Off home I go to set it up.

I charged it up, went through a nightmare of trying to get it organized with out any clear concept of what wi-fi really is. I will give you the readers digest version of the next few hours of my life that ended with me nearly in tears and seconds away from smashing the reader AND the computer to electronic dust. Ok here we go, e-reader says you do not have to connect to wi-fi right away but EVERY THING I WANTED TO DO resulted in the thing asking for a wi-fi connection and a pass word. Quickly reduced to frustration. I then turned to the computer to find out more about wi-fi. Wi-fi is one of those things that I know a little bit about but not a lot. I wanted to know how to get it, where to get it, what it is. I never could quite got the answers. I found lots of invitations to join things and give them personal information, I found lots of deals on all manner of electronic devises created to make my life so much EASIER, more FUN, more CONNECTED and STRESS FREE. No real answers to my questions but I did get my high blood pressure to go up and got a new lesson in restraint at not doing damage to the technology I already own. For a little bonus I got a killer headache and a desperate need to consume alcohol.

The next morning when I unplugged the Kindle and hit the power button to see if it was completely charged, half the screen was dark and the letters distorted and hard to read. OH OH, defect, since its only a day old, I will just return it and get another, simple...no? NO. The first trip to the store garners me the information that they do not usually do returns on those sort of items but I was welcome to come back and talk to the manager who could "maybe" approve such a return. This manager would not be in until today. I returned again today to speak to helpful manager with the power to approve. I was promptly told that: they do not do returns on these "big" items, not store policy you see, even though they do not tell you that when you buy the stuff. Don't be fooled byt the fact that the till slip says "retain the slip for returns within the first thirty days". that does not apply to these "big" items. However I was more that welcome to come back on Monday and talk to the actual real manager with the actual real power to approve a return on this "big" an item. Hmmph. I was miffed most mightily. I did not pitch a fit or make a scene but I did let them know that while they were sorry, so was I because my shopping  there in furture will not be the sames as it has in the past. My good will toward this place has now and forever been tainted. On my way out the clerk said I would probably do better to contact the company through the internet. Oh yes, I am really good on the internet.

I did give it a try and eventually I got the Kindle customer support team to call me. I got to talk to a very sweet man who said all the things he was supposed to but only served to make me even more frustrated. Things like, the store should do the return, you need a wi-fi connection and password, there is nothing he can do without a serial number. God Bless him, he hung in there when I came close to loosing it. He patiently guided me, the frustrated fed up me, through the ins and outs of finding the serial numbers, registering the machine and keeping me calm, all without wi-fi access or a wireless password. The man was a saint.  The lovely folk at Kindle are going to send me a new one, no problem!! I was very grateful and certainly thankful of the young man's help and persistence in finding me a solution.

Then I went to Target to see if I could find a carry-on bag to suit me. No luck. I,  then decided to go to the bank to pick up the money for my trip. Easy  peasey, the bank had called and confirmed it had arrived. I was assured I could pick it up anytime, no problem. Of course it was no problem to pick up, providing that I came back on Monday when the head cashier would actually be working. She has my money, its all locked away safely, no one can access it, not a soul in the bank but her. I need to relearn the English language because to day I learned: pick it up anytime translates to pick it up only when the right person is working and free to help me. So sorry, ma'am, move along, we have customers to tend to.

Thankfully things went a little more up hill for the rest of my day. I got new walking shoes, and I got the material to make my own carry-on bag. They do not make one that suits my fancy. I am not sure why but I have not found one that makes me think, "that would work". Not to mention, the material was a fraction of the cost of buying one. Love a fabric store having an inventory clearance sale. Sweet.

I need a nap

Toodles,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment