Sunday 6 January 2013

Another Week Slipped By

It has been a while since I sat down to do a blog post. This last week was the funniest of weeks, it dragged on and on with leaden feet in some aspects and in others it was gone in a blink. I am blaming the fact that New Year was on Tuesday and got everything into a muddle.

So the work week lasted about a million days but the free time zipped by with lightening speed. Whatever was happening I did not do any blogging. Go Me!! I need to get myself back on schedule. New Year, new start and all that.

My Christmas decorations are still out and about. They will be put back into their summer homes starting this week. While I hate to see them go away, it will be nice to have the place back to normal. More room, less clutter, and as with most everyone else the urge to clean, purge, tidy and organize comes along with the putting away of Christmas. The cleaning, purging,etc will start this week as well.

At work this has been a week of goodbyes. Two of our staff are retiring so there where hugs, tears and farewells. We had a little coffee do for one of our men who is leaving, we are taking him out for a proper farewell this coming week at a pub, so there will be booze but the coffee party in the office was a bonus. Snacks are welcomed on these occasions and in that aspect, I stepped out of my comfort zone. I am an passable cook/baker but I am not usually confidant enough to try a new recipe and take it out in public without having done a taste test at home. This week I stepped outside my comfort zone. I had read on another blog, mockingbirdhillcottage.com, about a coffee cake the author makes each Christmas. It sounded and looked so yummy I decided to give it a try. (Having all the ingredients on hand was another plus). I will confess I used pecans instead of walnuts but is came out looking pretty good I thought.


I mean something that looks this tasty could not possibly be bad, off to work it went with me. I am very happy to say it was a hit. I came home with a couple of crumbs on a plate, a head full of compliments and several recipe requests. That to me is a hit. I am definitely moving this recipe into my "make it again" file. Thank you Claudia, even though you have no idea who I am.

The Nurse was here for part of the weekend. The Entertainer did not come with her, she opted to stay home with Grandma and Grandpa so Mommy got some alone time. The Nurse spent her time of Friday visiting with other friends and caught up to me for coffee with the No Cook Friday group. Saturday we spent the most of it shopping, just one small break to take in Les Miserables. After supper she scooted off home to her girl and I retired to my knitting and the television. I am always glad to see her, I have known her since she was 3 or 4 years old, so I am tickled she makes a point of visiting with me.

Today was a super lazy day for me. I did not even get to breakfast until close to noon. I finally got dressed around 1:00 and then did some sewing. I finally made a cover for my beloved Kitchen Aid Mixer. In my small house space is at a premium and the only place I can keep my baby is beside the stove.


Isn't she pretty???? I love this mixer, it tickles me to no end that I finally got one and I want to look after it as best I can. Sitting by the stove gets it all mucky. Today I made this:


This will keep the greasy splats off of my baby and I can throw it in the wash when it needs it. I have had the material for ages and finally, today. got my self round to sewing it up.

I also purchased for myself this jolly little fellow when I was out and about this weekend. I saw him when the Christmas season first came about and I liked him, but I did not like him for $12.99. I like him even better now he was only $4.99. He makes me smile when I look at him. He has a little chip on his nose but that just adds to his charm as far as I am concerned. I think I will call him Dudley. Yes I am one of those people that names inanimate objects. Deal with it.


Season 3 of Downton Abbey starts tonight, Happy Dance of Joy!! I enjoy this series to no end. I like those Upstairs/Downstairs sorts of shows. I had best get off and watch it.

Toodles,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment