Saturday 11 August 2012

Friday Fun, Saturday Crap on a Cracker!!

On Friday night, the No Cook group celebrated all of our birthdays for the year on one night. One big bash for all for all of us instead of  seven different parties. We had a ball!! We are all at that wonderful age where we are supposed to be all mature and sensible but we are still young enough at heart to be silly and have plenty of fun anyway.

We have been No Cooking for almost three years now, Teddy Bear and I decided to start the group and it has been one of our most excellent ideas.  We go for supper at a restaurant we decided on the week before,  then after supper we go to Tim Hortons for coffee and laughing, then we go home.

We have even been scrapbooked! 
One of our number is missing from this picture but she was there for the party. 

The Banker played hostess and made the cake. She would not let us do anything, she planned it all. The candles represent approximately our collective ages.

We had streamers. balloons and fabulous paper flowers.


We dined on boiled  hot dogs, potato salad,and fruit punch with party hats and noise makers !! The cake had money in it like the birthday parties of our youth. It sounds so juvenile but it was so much fun. The Banker had little bags that we each got to pick and you had to wear with was inside. Most pertained to inside jokes that you had to be there to get but we all dissolved into fits of giggles over each and every one.We played games, like pin the tail on the donkey and  we had a scavenger hunt with a grab  bag at the end for everyone.  Licorice babies, blue whales, and jelly candies with a toy and a kinder egg.  Just so you do not think we have slid completely into our second childhood, we had some lovely wine too.



 We had presents of course. We set a price limit  of $10.00. We did that open/steal from someone else thing that you do at the office parties. Teddy Bear started us off because she won the Pin the Tail on the Donkey game.

We had lovely gifts and only one person stole. Mostly we were completely happy with what we opened.







T received not only a cake mix but some neat little kitchen gadgets. A got some coffee mixes and a lovely ceramic coffee mug, Teddy Bear got a coupon keeper, a note pad, journal, 2 knitted dishcloths and funky pen, J got a watch and a sparkly giraffe pin, S got fancy new lunch bag that looks like a cute purse. The Banker got an assortment of cocktail mixes and a pitcher to serve them in. I got a lovely picture of a girl in a meadow with some geese. I just need to figure out where to hang it.



Mostly we laughed and laughed and laughed

This was nearly an incident of pin the tail on the Banker.
The Banker was laughing so hard, nearly lost her hat!!

We laughed, we danced, we sang old songs, we watched Gnomeo and Juliet. We behaved like school girls and it was so much fun. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy this group of friends. I swear I do not know what I did without them!!

So much fun on Friday and then along came Saturday and reality leapt up and smacked me in the head. My car is overheating for some unknown reason. Something that came to light while I was stuck in the Tim's drive thru trying to get a breakfast sandwich. CRAP ON A CRACKER!!! Could be a problem with the fan as I was told by the nice young man at the gas station but I am going to have to get it onto the garage to find out for sure. NICE since I am currently on a mini vacation and have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday off this week. I had plans, I had places I wanted to go and now I am grounded. I just hope I don't have to wait forever to get it in someplace. I am seriously wishing I had picked up cat food before the car went futz. I hate not having a working car, its such a lose of independence for me. Oh well, this too shall pass, but not before it takes a nice bite out of my finances and throws a wrench into my plans. I just pray to God this car is not turning into the biggest mistake purchase of my life.

So since I was trapped at home today, I spent most of it trying to settle myself into actually doing something and not pacing around the house like a caged animal, feeling sorry for myself and generally having a pout. I did manage to make laundry soap and finish off an order for 4 dishcloths. Then I finally got out the material for Busy's table runner. It is my first attempt at paper piecing and its slow going but here are my first two completed blocks.



I love the results, you get such nice crisp points and sharp lines. It takes awhile to get your mind wrapped around which line to sew down on the paper pattern but its worth it to get these lovely results

.
I cannot wait to see the finished runner and I will be sure to post pictures for everyone to see. I have to go to the fabric store tomorrow and get the material for a couple of crib quilts that need to be done. Thankfully it is only a couple of blocks from me so I can walk there. I do have to say that now that I have started this I will be working on it every chance I get just so I can see the end result. I see more of this way paper piecing malarkey in my future.

Toodles
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment