Sunday 19 August 2012

A Little Weekend DIY

I decided since there is not much doing in my world this weekend I had the time to do a little DIY project for me. I have a million to do, it is just a matter of picking which one. Think, think, think ..........and decision made. I have this awkward little space in my kitchen and until I win the lottery and can rearrange the cupboards I am stuck with it. Not big enough to get at easily, basically just some wasted real estate.

awkward little space

I store things in that cupboard that I rarely use because its just so darn handy to get into and out of. Not to mention I have a small house and lots of stuff so I am always in need of more storage space. I thought that some sort of cart that would fit in this space, have wheels to move easily would fit the bill. So I went looking.

I found this little guy on a local shop and shop site. On sale for $5.00 it was the right size, had wheels and shelves for storage. Perfect! Home it came with me. I was not so happy with the fake wood look but I knew a little bit of paint would take care of that. One trip to a local recycling store that specializes in building materials provided  me with some tiles to cover the top. As it is sitting beside my stove the tiles will be easy clean and good for anything hot that I need to set someplace. Let the DIY begin.


I had to get a little creative with the top as I could not find tiles that would fit it exactly but luckily I had the little white tiles a friend gave me a long time ago and they filled in the blanks. 


before grout

                                                                                                 after grout


White paint made a big change to the base of the cart. I primed it first then used the left over from the livingroom trim paint to freshen it up. I was told this primer would stick to any surface no sanding needed but I have my doubts. Oh well time will tell and for now it looks so much better white than the wood look.




All done, painted, grouted and ready to work. Well not quite the paint has to cure and I will probably have to wipe of grout film a few more times but other than that its ready to go. My cheap little cart  looks much better in the kitchen now that is has had a face lift but then don't we all look better with a slap of paint?



I added a handle so I can pull it out easily and I added a hook to  have a place to hang my garbage bowl. (its a bowl I use to put food scraps in when I am cooking).  My kitchen aid mixer now has a proper home that allows me easy access. The shelves will hold other little appliances that I use almost daily but have no counter space for. All in all I think the whole thing cost me less than $20.00 to do. I can now cross this little project off of my list.

Awkward space no more

Toodles
Linda


1 comment: