Sunday 6 July 2014

Splash On Some Colour

What I wet weekend this has been. We are currently experiencing some flooding, had a state of emergency declared, been warned at work vacations may be cancelled and that our "volunteering" is expected to deal with evacuations,should we be needed in the next week. Kind of hard to believe the area is under so much water  today because the sun is shining, a gentle breeze blowing, its just an all round lovely day. Last night was easier to believe when the rain was coming down in sheets, so hard and fast you could hardly see across the street. I have had only some water in the basement, which is not the end of the world. My basement is completely unfinished.  Some time, in the near future, I will need to go down there, open the window and get a fan going to dry it up.

Can't much remember what I did yesterday, I know it was not the yard work I had planned on, It was WAYYYYYY too muggy for me to be out there. Menopause, humidity and chubbiness makes for a bad combination. So I stayed in and worked at the house, cleaning, tidying and getting things back to normal. The only yard work I did yesterday was finally mow the poor lawn!! Two weeks after it should have been done but at last, mowing was accomplished. Sad fact is it takes 23 minutes from getting the lawn mower out of the shed, untangling the cord, mowing and putting it away. The way I carry on about it you would think it was HOURS of work. I can make a mountain out of a mole hill, me. However, yesterday the weather channel threatened rain for today and into next week, THEY LIED, but I thought it was mow now or never.

I tried to sit on the veranda last night, in the early evening, it had cooled a little, due to the impending thunder storms/hail and the mugginess has receded but it as impossible. I did not have enough hands to swat all the skeeters out there. I doubt I made 10 minutes before I bolted into the house and away from the blood suckers. Its so sad it would have been a nice evening to sit out before the storm hit.

Today I dragged out the spray paint and gave my yard some hits of much needed colour. I have before and after pictures but try to ignore the overgrown vegetation. I have not got out the machete to do some weeding. All this water is making for some lush, full  run-a-muk weeds. But here we go:


A couple of shots of spray paint later and Gnorm the Gnome and the plant pot look so much better. Gnorm is starting to show his age but now he will make another season or two.


Once I got going I wanted to paint everything, soI also gave these two ornaments from the front yard a shot of freshening paint. Not quite as loud colourwise but a face lift none the less. Rusty and dull they needed some help.
\

After: copper for the grate and oil rubbed bronze for the lantern.


Maybe I should have taken the after picture once I got them back into the front yard, oh well you get the idea. I have a couple more things I want to spray paint but I will save those for another day.

Toodles,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment