Saturday 29 June 2013

Just Hangin' Out on the Long Weekend.

I love the weekends, I have never kept that a secret, but long weekends are extra special. You get the one extra day to sleep in and do the things you love to do. Its a nice little present. I have to say sometimes I miss the big family July 1st barbecue and get together we used to have, but times change. So I am at home, puttering about the house and getting things done.

I finally got some quilt pictures taken. At long last, here is the Endless Stars quilt I made for R to give to her granddaughter: Pink, white and purple for a little princess.


Now then the updated quilt for the Red Room. Here is how it looked like with the old quilt, which I had made years ago for Mom. That one was called a Railway Crossing and while I still like it,  I wanted a change.

 I made this: Its not quite what I wanted but by the time I realized I was making a mistake, I was too lazy to stop and start over. I may make another one some day, the one I really want but for now this is fine. Its fresh and its a change, so its good enough for now. It does not show in the picture but the afghan at the foot of the bed is a sampler blanket, each square is a different knitting pattern. 


I had a tiny miracle happen to me on Friday. Something that never happens as a rule. We had a retirement tea for a co-worker at the office and as I have tea appropriate dishes, I happily loaned out some cake plates and tea cups for the do. While I was packing up my dishes, a pedestal cake plate slipped from my hand and smashed a cut glass cake plate to smithereens right on top of the tea cups. Thankfully the plate was the only casualty of the incident and thankfully, I did it, not someone else. This happened about 2:00 pm. I told my co-workers I would just have something to look for when I go yard saling next, then I promptly put it out of my mind.  I was leaving work early at 3:00 pm. I first skipped to the bank and when I was done there, a random little thought popped into my head that I should stop in at a local thrift shop and snoop around. I decided I had time before I needed to get ready for supper and nothing better to do, I went.  I found the EXACT SAME CAKE PLATE for a $1.00 at about 3:15 pm. My luck seldom runs that way.


Today I did the usual things: groceries, gas for the car,  breakfast, cleaned the kitchen, took out the recycle, cleaned the kitchen mat (cat barf, such fun), ironed all the doilies in the house ( I had washed them sometime ago). I shuffled some things about in some cupboards, put away all the tea things from Friday, took quilt pictures and then I washed out the fridge, pitching out all the unidentifiable food items that were living in there, and finally I did this:


I started the Blarney Night quilt for next year. I have this year's yet to quilt but as batt and backing need to be bought, I went with what I had on hand. No extra funds around here at the moment so economy is the watch word for this month.

Tomorrow I hope to tackle some yard work, sew some more on the Hanging Garden's quilt for Blarney Night 2014 and do the laundry. Some time I need to make a Walmart run for cat food and litter. Both of which I have run out of and the cat is starting to look slightly panicked. Monday will be my free day, and by that I mean no planned things, chore or craft in nature. I will just go where my whims take me.

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Toodles, Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment