Wednesday 19 June 2013

My Idle in the Wild

I have said it many times, I will say it many times more, cause its really really true.........I have wonderful friends. They care about me, do wonderful things for me and they make me feel humbled by their goodness. One of my many wonderful friends has a cabin at at a nearby lake and once a year she urges me go and stay there for several days, no cost and I have to say its one of the highlights of my year.I just got home from three days of silence, leisure and relaxation.

Quiet, no obligations and no guilt that I should be doing other things besides, read, quilt, knit and nap. While this may sound like my usual days  but I always have other things that need my attention, I feel pulled and conflicted. I packed up a ton of DVD's, books and the afghan I had finished but not got put together, a quilt for the red room and I hit the road on Sunday. Its not prime cabin season so things are very quiet up there, you can hear the wind sighing through the trees, the lady squirrels gossiping with each other in the mornings as they go about their squirrel business. Birds sing, the sun shines and the breeze is cool. I could stay up there for ever. Well at least longer than I actually did. Every once in awhile I need time away and alone, just me.

While I can spend some time in the absolute quiet, I have to have some tv noise so I take DVD's with me. I finished the fifth season of Angel this year and watched the entire second season of The Gilmore Girls. Rocky 1 and 2 were revisited and Pride and Prejudice was watched for like the millionth time. I did step out into the world. I snooped the second hand book store/coffee shop/gift shop. Chai Latte and a butter rum pecan tart are a lovely way to start a day. I found that one of my favourite shops in a local town has closed, which makes me sad and I did actually go into the park but did not linger for too long. I mostly wanted to just be away , on my own for a few days, to have a break, get myself centered and regroup.

I finished this while I was there:

I knit this afghan some time ago, for myself but I had never taken the time to sew it together and knit the trim.  At long last its done and ready to use.

Then I got started on this quilt. I got two rows of block quilted. This is not exactly how I wanted this quilt to look but it would need to be totally ripped apart and started from scratch to fix it and I am not prepared to do this so I am going to live with it as it is. Its going in the red room when its done and I will share pictures of it when I get it put in there.



I sat on the deck and read as much as I could but the mosquitoes were bad and drove me inside far sooner than I would have wanted to go. The cabin is surrounded by big pine trees and its lovely and shady on the deck. This week there was just enough breeze to keep it comfortable and it the dang bugs would have buzzed off, I could have spent the entire day out there.

I was up at 6 or 6:30 each day, had a nap each afternoon and just totally relaxed. I did not think deep thoughts nor did I think superficial ones, its like I turned my mind off and simply drifted through the day. It was lovely. Tomorrow, reality will set in and things will go thumping back into place but for now I am happy to drift along on the remnants of my idle in the wild.

Toodles
Linda


No comments:

Post a Comment