Sunday 24 February 2013

Workin' on the Weekend

Finally got the last of the purged stuff hauled off to a local charity shop and am rejoicing that it is all out of my house and out of my car. That was my first errand yesterday. Next came groceries, checking out the new Dollar Tree store and then home for breakfast/lunch. I prefer to do my errands early in Saturday mornings before the weekend shopping crowd gets out and gets going. I like to be home, safe in my little house by then. I have less and less tolerance for crowds the older I get.

Once I was home and fed, I decided to finally get the head board attached to the bed. I was, at last, in the mood to wrestle with the mattress and box spring. This is what the bed looks like before I got it updated:


I like this bedspread but its not wide enough for a queen sized bed. I thought of making it wider but its years old and now I have decided that I want to make a new one. That is next on my list of things to do. Actually the entire bedroom is going to get done, paint, new carpet, maybe strip and repaint the end tables. They only have a million layers of stuff on them. I have not really ever stripped a piece of furniture myself but others do it and I am pretty sure I should be able to. The end tables are not very fussy so it should not be very hard job. All this will take place in time, for now its baby steps. so here we go, naked box spring:


It took longer than I planned but finally I got the headboard out of the box, onto the bed frame, I had a great time dropping nuts, bolts and wrenches but it got done. I decided to get the bed skirt made, since the bed was all pulled apart anyway. I have had the material since I moved in and  made the new curtains and pillow shams. I like to make a bed skirt with a fitted sheet so it does not slide around. It sounds simple and it is simple but it takes a lot of time. All that cutting, hemming, and pinning. Finally got it all done and put back on.


You cannot tell from this picture but this material is almost like a toile. I love the soft colour of it which is more smokey than it comes across in the pictures. The curtains and shams are made of the same stuff and I have enough leftovers to add into the new quilt. Here is how the bed looks now I have it all together again. You can see how the quilt is not quite long enough and trust me its on the bed off center. If you could see the far side you would see how its too narrow.


It crack me up completely that I spend an entire Saturday afternoon, working on two things that you can hardly see with the end result. I am going to have to give some serious thought on how I can raise the headboard a bit. I like it and I wish more of it could be seen. For now I will look foreward to getting the new quilt made.

I finished all of this, was chatting on facebook with H.C. telling her I needed to some supper organized when my phone rang. Heart stopping words, "Aren't you coming to pick me up?". I had plans to go to the movies last night with friends, to pick up one of them and I like to get there early. I TOTALLY FORGOT!! I felt like a complete fool. Panic, frantic, crazed few minutes ensued but I made it to the theater and got to see the movie with my friends. Thankfully the one I was to pick up got there on her own and bought her ticket and mine. The theater was nearly full but we had excellent seats thanks to the two who got there first. I never got supper until after 9:00 but that was ok. We stopped at a coffee shop after and I got a sandwich and a donut which made my night complete.

Today I was going to go to Walmart but I think I will do that tomorrow. I am just going to stay in, do some housework, laundry and finish up some craft projects. Maybe have a nap since the short blissfully silent break from the neighbours barking dog has ended. Little Sweetums that he is, was howling his head off at 7:45 am. WHY? WHY? WHY??? Its the weekend for goodness sake!!

Toodles,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment