Tuesday 16 June 2015

In the Garden

I have been working in the yard. I did next to nothing there last year but plant flowers in the spring. The ongoing maintenance mostly fell to a friend and her three girls. They tended my yard for me as I had little to no interest or energy to do anything. PLUS she wanted to start giving her girls lessons in giving back. She is a good person and a good Mom. This year I, at least, feel like doing stuff, however no matter how willing the spirit, the flesh poops out really really quickly these days. We forge on and do a little at a time . I work, I sit, I work, I sit. I need to do this as its good exercise for me

I am starting practically from scratch with the back flower bed. Its a work in progress  as most of the plants died over the winter and the rest have been overrun by a very invasive ground cover. Kitkat came over and weeded a lot of it for me. Now I just have to dig out the rest. I also plan to paint the shed but more on that project in a later blog post. I will share more when I have done more.

I finally got the last of the flowers planted in the front. Who knew planting 36 marigolds, a flowering bush and one hosta could be made onto a two day event??? Yesterday I thought I died planting half of it but today I did the other half and did not feel the need to lay face down on the lawn and wait for the buzzards to come.


I even trimmed the lilacs a little, but I need to do more of that, they have become over grown and spindly. The snow on the mountain has to be pulled out and maybe I will find the little potentilla bush that is planted between the two lilacs.



Speaking of little bushes, this is my second attempt to grow one of these. The name of it starts with a W but that is all I remember. The one I planted last year did not live through the winter. I am hoping this one makes it. They are so pretty. Ignore all the weeds that surround it. I have weeded twice but I never seem to do a really good job.

I have planted petunia in my dear Mama's old wash tub as she used to do. I also, in her honor, spray painted my dollarama butterfly ornament bright orange and added it to her tub. Orange was my Mom's favourite colour.


This ornate grate comes from The Banker. She had it in her yard for the longest time and now that she is moving she has decided to part with it. I think it looks lovely parked in front of the new hosta. It was rather rusty so I gave it a blast of spray paint as well. (Again ignore the weeds). My poor front lawn is more weeds than grass but I am working on it. It all looks green from the street. Tomorrow I am planning to mow which hide some of the weedy wonderfulness.

Can't wait to get my green bin from the city. I have loads of stuff to put in it already and much more will be ready in the next few days. I will still compost but I think I will make good use of the green bin as well. I am not a dedicated composter. like I am not a dedicated gardener. I play at it.

Inbetween mad bouts of gardening and the required recovery time, I made puppets. Yesterday it was work on the quilt, today is puppets, tomorrow will be back to the quilt. I plan to work in the back yard tomorrow as well and maybe get started on painting the shed. So many things to do.

At least today my legs were not as sore. I started to take the magnesium again and whether or not its in my head or the stuff really works, don't know and don't care, my legs felt better today. I think maybe I am beginning to get a bit of my energy back. Its baby steps for sure but I hope so. I hate not being able to at least walk around and do what I want without feeling like I am going to pass out.

Baby steps, baby steps, slow, steady, wait, it all takes  lots of time. All this is trying my patience but I am determined  to do the best I can to get back to my normal. Whatever the heck that is.

Toodles,
Linda






No comments:

Post a Comment