Tuesday 15 September 2020

Fall Free For All

 So instead of a spring clean I am currently working in a Fall Purge. I am still on the road of purging, cleaning and organizing that started with my retirement. Its a slow but steady program. I may never get it all finished but I cling to the fact that I am actually getting somethings done AND that I am actually still working on it. Baby steps but it all adds up over time 

At long last I got upstairs and managed to get the majority of my closet cleaned out. Its been on my list since long before my last day of work. I happen to have the worlds smallest walk in closet and it was packed to the gills thanks to my "toss the crap in there"method of putting things away.   It was starting to get dangerous to open the door. Not to mention, I had some storage tubs in the green spare room that I was hoping to go in my closet to get them out of the way. End result at long last I forced myself back up stairs during the day and went to work.

I just want to take a second to mention that making a second trip up the stairs during the day is sort of like asking me to allow you to yank a tooth without pain meds, Its a fate worse than death and I will avoid it at all costs. I feel actually doing the trip its a major victory in and of itself.

The lighting in the bedroom is crap so I apologize for the poor picture quality. Showing off my stellar photographic skillz again.

Before



There was more in there but I forgot to take a picture right at the start. I hauled out what I needed to and soon my bedroom looked like this



Then I dragged the storage bins into the bedroom so I could try and work them into the closet. My poor green spare room was starting to look like a store room.


I used the tried and true method of three piles, keep, trash and donate. Once I got going it really did not take a great deal of time, where the storage bins once sat now looks like this.


Yes that is correct, The storage bins found a spot in the closet. The three drawer plastic unit that was in there taking up space and not being useful was removed and they took its place. I also added another bin that was under my bed. I cannot tell you how happy this makes me. The three drawer unit will be put out by the dumpsters so it can find an new home with someone who can use it. I will take pictures at some point when I am in the bedroom with  a decent amount of sunshine.

I got two garbage bags of textiles to go to recycle, and the rest has been put back where it belongs and now is neat and tidy with easy access. That is the most important fact, easy access. It is for me that's for sure. Trash has already gone out to the dumpster which is another miracle. I can bag the stuff no problem, its just actually getting it to the dumpster that is the trouble. Sigh, I am my own worst problem.



Textiles bagged and waiting to go. Those will be gone in the next day or two. I still have a few boxes to look through but other than that the closet has been scratched off the list.

I then turned my organizing skills onto my scrapbooking paper. I have two bins of the stuff and its gotten into a right mess. One is patterned paper and the other is solid colours. I actually started with my this years photos. I made sure they were all in the right order and all together in events. THEN I tackled the paper.


Patterned paper was sorted into events (ie Christmas, Easter, Birthday Etc) and what was not specific to an event or place,  into colours. I also made an index to give me an idea of what events I had paper for and where it might be found in the pile. In doing this I found some pages I will for sure use in this years album, Squeeee

The plain paper was sorted back into colours. This took some time but oh my it is so nice to have it all done and tidy once again, All ready for this years scrapbooking weekend




I have also been doing the things that I love best in the midst of all this organizing craziness. I got the butterfly quilt quilted, Its the top that Princess Diva gave me and she thought might work for the raffle quilt this year. I still have not taken a proper picture of it but I will. I am a bit behind on the quilt pictures.



Its so pretty and old fashioned. I love it. It washed up very well. I had my doubts about the butterfly applique but it did not fall apart in the machine, Win Win.

I have even got out the fall decor. I decided not to do the full house this year but I did put out a little. I do love fall and all the fall things. I have a bit of a pumpkin obsession.



Yes Pumpkin spice is something I look foreward to every year. I love it!! 

I got surprise cookies delivered to my veranda this week. I shamelessly begged on Facebook and they appeared.


So yummy and so timely as I was just sitting down to a coffee break when I found out about their arrival. I do have some lovely friends.

Other than that I have knit five dishcloths and and now going to turn my attention to Christmas gifts. I need to get working on them if I plan to make things for the big day. 

I still have cleaning to do upstairs but as I like to tell people I am pacing myself. Can't do it all in one day. I am also really making myself shop the house. I am now making myself take some time, even if I am positive I don't have something in the house that will work for what it is I need. I quite often will find something that works. Saving myself money and not adding to the excess. Reduce, reuse, recycle. I'm learning, I am slow but I am learning.

Hope all is well in your world.

Toodles,

Linda



No comments:

Post a Comment