Sunday 31 May 2020

And It Goes On and On

The yard work continues and while the going is slow, I am on track with my planned out timetable and I am getting it done myself. //getting it done myself is the biggest deal for me. The weeds had a heyday and were totally running amok.

Thankfully the little shrubs that were planted last year all survived the winter and are coming back this year. Here we go with the before and after pictures.



Not sure why the pictures are sideways but it doesn't matter you can see all the weeds at any angle. They are lush and plentiful.




I just realized this year that I do not weed correctly. I do the rip their heads off method. The Banker digs and loosens the soil then she can pull out the root as well. This would be a far smarter method and one I shall try to do in future. It would make it easier in the long run.



I may plant a hosta or two by the glass mushrooms in future. I cannot tell you how happy that little bush in the corner makes me. Its at least the third one that has been planted since I killed the old one and its the only one that finally took root and may actually be growing.  I love the bright green of the leaves. (Oh I can hear my neighbour mowing our lawns even as we speak. I like that.)



This is the front host bed. I was not sure they were coming back as I could not see them but its amazing what shows up once you move a ton of weeds out of the way. Best of all is I have the front yard finished and next week I will move into the back yard and weed the big flower bed. That is going to be a job and a half. At least now the hostas will be coming up and I can weed round them.
I have more hostas to plant back there. I want to fill the entire bed with them. They look so nice and take no maintenance.


All those leaves in the lawn disappear when its mowed and just look green. I have no idea what they are but I keep throwing down grass seed hoping the grass will choke them out.

At least the place looks like someone cares a bit about it. I need to get my garden hose out of the shed and get the water to the outside tap turned on so I can water without having to carry water from the kitchen. My neighbour is going to up plug my downspouts at some point which will make me happy.
I am missing out on some lovely rain water.

I have tried the quilt as you go method on my row by row quilt and I have to say I am still not a fan. I have done it before but I am not good at it.


Where 

While I like the ease of quilting each row on its own, I do not like the wobbly uneven look of the finished product. I am not skilled enough to make it close to perfect so I am scrapping this idea. I am going to sew the top all together and then quilt it like I normally would. I am happier with that plan of action.

Today I will work on it. I did little to nothing but a bit of weeding yesterday. I still have to get my weekends figured out. I always used Saturday as a get the errands done, do the housework kind of day and then Sunday was laundry and crafts. I can do housework, errands and laundry on week days now so I have to find a purpose for Saturday. Sunday is all crafts but Saturdays find me a bit lost. I will figure it out in time. The smart thing would be to use Saturdays for baking and making some meals ahead. Time will tell if I do the smart thing.

The weather this weekend has been so fabulous. Saturday there was a lot of veranda sitting and soaking up the days. This is my sort of weather and I know its not going to last, I am making it a mission to take in as much of it as I possibly can. I love these days.

Time to get sewing!!

Toodles
Linda





No comments:

Post a Comment