Sunday 9 October 2016

Giving Thanks

My house is smelling like a house should on Thanksgiving. Turkey, roast potatoes, broccoli kale salad, pumpkin cheesecake made the kitchen smell very festive and holiday like. The only thing missing was people, its just me and the cats but that's ok too. At least I can celebrate and that is a blessing. I am comfortably stuffed with a seriously good meal and am deliciously sleepy.

Actually it is good to say goodbye to the last two weeks. Not the best weeks of my life but not the worst either. Monsters and demons out of the closet, monsters and demons beat back into the closet. Its time to carry on, No time to feel sorry for myself, time to strap on one's big girl panties and get on with things. Do the best you can, keep trying, what more can one do?? Onward and upward.

I am putting this all behind me and I am focusing on what I have to be thankful for and to doing the best I can.  I am thankful that I have a job, I wake up each day, I have a roof over my head and food on my table. I have clothes to wear, a car to drive, my very good friends and my family. This all makes me rather rich. When you are rich you are lucky so just put the bumps in the road behind you and move on, learning life lessons as you can.

I have been busy doing stuff. I finished the baby blanket I was knitting:


I made hat and scarf sets for the Hostess to give to her grandson:

Star Wars


Minions

And I made her an owl puppet because her little guy likes owls at the moment:


The pictures are dark I know, one of these days I will learn how to take a really good picture.

I got my box of Canada tulips at last. I need to get them planted soon so I have lovely red and white tulips blooming next year.


I just need to figure out where I am going to put them. I have limited yard space but I am determined to have them come up next year. I think they are so pretty. I had planted yellow tulips when I first moved into the house. That tulip bed has morphed into the front hosta bed now. I will think of something. Where there is a will there is a place to plant the tulips.

I got brave and finally turned the heat on it then house. I am scared silly of turning it on for the first time each year. I am always scared it will not come on, the gas will continue to run, the house will blow up. All those mature things, but it got so cold in here I had to. I put it off for as long as I can, in part because I am cheap but mostly because I am a chicken. It started like a charm and the house is no longer painfully cold.

I have been enjoying my three day weekend. I have a "to do" list, which may or may not get done. I had planned to quilt today but I didn't. I dyed the flannelette for the backing, and got it all dried. I finished the sashing on the Safe and Warm raffle quilt so I should be able to get the actual quilting started tomorrow. Yesterday was errands and housework, The Hostess stopped in and got her stuff AND she bought some puppets as well. Later in the day Teddy Bear and I went and saw the movie Captain Fantastic. Today was the usual slow start that I do most Sundays. I did manage to get the laundry done, I emptied and refilled the dishwasher, had a nap and knit inbetween bouts of sewing. Somehow the hours slip by and the day is over as soon as its begun.

OMG I nearly forgot the most important thing. I FINALLY found the stinking shed key. It was hidden in plain sight one might say.


Now I can get in there again before the snow flies. My friend may get her oars yet!! I hope I have now learned my lesson and I will take better care in future.

Princess Diva stopped by today and gave me some red tiles. I have a star to make for my co-worker, Pixie. She saw the ones on the shed and wants one for her back yard. I needed red tile and Princess Diva came through. She is so good that way.

I am, as always, trying to get myself organized. I have been making lists. I do not know how people manage without lists. I am starting to prepare for the craft sale next year. Next weekend I will book my table for the following year. Yarn has been on sale so I am starting to purchase a supply to turn into puppets which I will then turn into cold hard cash!! I am also getting the stuff together for the scrapbooking weekend. This makes me happy. I purchased my first stocking stuffers this weekend so The Christmas shopping is underway. 

One of the good things that happened this last week is that I have found a home for one of my spinning wheels. I have two and I do not have need nor do I have room for two. One of the women on my floor at the office is learning to spin. She has no wheel. Its a match made in heaven. I need to fish it up from the basement and get it to her. I remember how happy I was when I got my first wheel. I am glad to help someone else to feel that way. 

I hope that your Thanksgiving was wonderful.


Toodles,
Linda




No comments:

Post a Comment