Monday 6 July 2015

Fence Me In

Well it was all busy and all a go at the homestead this weekend. Busy and the Carpenter came to replace the fence between my house and my neighbours (the ones with the two big dogs). The Banker and I had picked up the supplies on Friday so things were all ready for them. I rented a fence stretcher so The Carpenter would have all he needed to get the job done.

This is what they were replacing, this sad old picket fence. I thought the posts were rather solid but I was living in a fools paradise. Busy mostly took it down her self and only one post gave them problems. What do I know??


In short order the Carpenter and Busy were getting the poles in place for the new fence.


It was hot, humid and sadly, thanks to the tons of dog poop next door, very stinky.


This is the Carpenter, He did the lion's share of the hot heavy hard work. I have to confess that  I have seriously rethought my childhood opinion of him, When I was little, I could not understand why he was not completely and utterly thrilled to have my little self with him every waking moment. My very presence should have thrilled him to death and I could not, for the life of me, understand why it didn't. Therefore I would have happily given him away at times. Thankfully, that did not happen. For many years now I have come to the conclusion that I would not trade him as a brother for anything. He is so very good to me. Both Busy and the Carpenter are more than good to me. They came, they worked like rented mules in the heat and the smell just so I  could have a new fence. Time and again they have gone above and beyond, to help me. and when you are alone, those things mean the world to you. I try not to take advantage of them as they are busy people and have a lot of pulls on their time and energies but its a comfort to know they are in my corner it I need them.


Busy was right in there, helping with the details, doing clean up, pulling down fence and loading the trash into the truck.


She is a worker, that sister-in-law of mine!! I am happy to say that the fence went up fairly quickly. We (isn't it fun that I have included myself in the mix, I mostly sat on the sidelines and fetched water) got the poles in and cemented just as the heaven's opened and the rain came tumbling down.


Day two was putting up the wire and finishing the fence. It all went together fairly quickly and easily, at least that was what I was told. The poop was cleaned up in the other yard so it was a less stinky process,


I, now, have a five foot fence between me and the two dogs next door. Once I get the vine to grow up this fence I will have a more private yard as well. Its what I wanted, its installed and it got it done for a fraction of the cost. I am so grateful!!

The goodness did not stop there. The old picket fence continued past my shed and right to the back alley. I thought I would eventually take that section down myself. I was sure I could as I knew the trees were what what holding it up. These trees can act as a dividing line. You can see the fence in the picture, there, behind the lattice and the trash bins, My goal was getting the new fence up,


Well I blinked and this happened. 


Yes the fence is gone, gone, gone. They pulled it down, cleaned up the vegetation around it and I am over the moon happy about it. It is just a joy to look out my kitchen window and not see that ratty old picket fence. Don't think I am crazy, chain link is in no way a pretty fence but its sturdy, maintenance free and I can walk out to my car now without fear of a dog coming flying over to take a test bite.

AND I also got this:


My snazzy new motion sensor light is up and working!! Sweet!! I love the look of it, I think it fits with the style of my house and I have wanted a motion light for a long time. I forget to turn the light on or off at the front door so now people will not have to stumble in the dark to my door. My word, its grand to have handy willing workers come to visit!!

We had a nice weekend. Busy brought me the material The Teacher picked out for New Baby. I am eager to get started on that. I have a picture and now the material. I spent some time today working oout the measurements etc. Its going to be so very cute. I cannot wait to get going on it. Its a challenge for me. I will share pictures once I get going. I am in charge of the quilt and the bumper pads. Busy is doing the crib skirt and the roman blind. Well we are working together on that. I will explain, later, as I post about the quilt.

It was not all work and no play, we got to get some shopping in and we had a good visit. Those two are busy busy people, as usual. Sadly for my poor brother, while we crossed things off his "to do" list for this time but I am already starting another one for the next time he comes to visit.

 We (once again I am including myself under false pretenses) barbecued steaks, had new potatoes with real butter, and salad for supper one night. I almost licked my plate. I only set the table and stuffed my face. If only I had thought to get cheese cake or ice cream for dessert. This is the kind of company to have, they do projects for you, they cook for you, its a good deal. That was not the only reason I was sad to see them go this morning. I always am. I am hoping that once I am not tied to the hospital everyday for dressing changes, I can get visiting some of my family and friends.

So they are back at their home, I am here. Birthday Twin and her granddaughter will be back on Wednesday for a few days visit. Then this coming Monday my idle comes to an end and I go back to work. That is a post for another day.

For day I am happy and grateful for my family, my friends and my new fence. I am one lucky lucky lady.

Toodles,
Linda


1 comment:

  1. You guys did a really great job with that yard. Congrats on the completion, I hope that you enjoy it. We had to do a replacement on our fence last summer. I had to do most of the work myself. My dad and nephew did chip in. But, it still was a hot and miserable time. Enjoy it now though.

    Christian Renwick @ Altitude Fence And Deck

    ReplyDelete