Monday 28 December 2020

Wonderdul Wooden Candy Cane

 Christmas is over and done for one more year. It was different this year, we could not celebrate in the normal way but we managed. Thanks to the miracle of modern technology I was able to be in touch with my nearest and dearest. Texts, pictures, videos and video chats made me feel part of the day and part of the fun. One cannot feel sorry for yourself when you get to see a little one squeal with joy when her Jack-in-the-box pops out at her EVERY SINGLE TIME. It just never gets old. Present opening, tobogganing and just general fun was shared thanks to the internet. 

Teddy Bear popped in for a visit each day. Pandemic rules allow one visitor if you live alone. I am so grateful for those visits. She brings me a coffee and we sit and chat about everything and nothing. Its so nice to have contact with another human being. 

I did all the usual things that I find traditional for Christmas. I had appetizers for Christmas Eve supper, I watched a ton of Christmas movies, Christmas morning it was the fireplace video, the tree lit up and coffee while I opened my gifts. Then the Queen's speech and breakfast, not delicious Breakfast Bruchetta but breakfast none the less. No Monkey Balls or fruit tray but I was satisfied.




That fireplace video was something I thought was a bit silly when I first saw it but now I love it. It makes for a cozy livingroom at this time of year.

Miss Mouse and the Pilot sent me stuff so I had presents under the tree. My gift exchange gift and things for my stocking, It was so sweet of them. While the adult in me could have waited because postage is ridiculously expensive, the child in my soul was thrilled. Lots of things I had on my list for stocking stuffers. I was tickled with it all but I have to say the most special gift was this:



My wooden candy cane nut dish. The Pilot made this himself and he did a most excellent job. Its as smooth as satin and I could not be more pleased. I will treasure it always.

I cooked myself a turkey. Just a little one this year and I have to admit that I am always amazed that I remember how to do this each year. I was grateful I had a little one in the freezer from a while ago.



The stuffing came out of a box but I am ok with that. I like the taste of it. All in all I think I had a lovely time. It would have been better if I could have been with my family but that was not to be. I would rather have all of us safe than be together.

I have started to crochet a tablecloth. It has been a long time since I did this sort of fine work.


There is a long way to go before its an actual tablecloth. In a way its a total waste of time and energy. Chances are that this will never get used and no one will want it after I am gone. This sort of thing is so out of fashion no one is interested in them anymore. I'd doing it just to have something to do. I have the cotton in the house and may as well use it to pass the time as to leave it sitting there rotting. Personally I like this sort of thing and I'm sad that people no longer like  doilies and tablecloths. Oh well, what else would I do with my time?

Toodles 
Linda


1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Linda and all the best for a much better 2021! I love the nut dish, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete