Saturday 23 May 2015

Yard Work Begun and Promptly Halted

I finally got a start at the yard work. I decided its time I start to regain my stamina and gardening is one way to start. I worked for an hour yesterday, managed to get half the front yard done and completely poofed myself out. The upside of my adventures in lawn care is that the peonies are weeded, the border flower beds are worked up and all the things that were knocked over and laying down are upright once again. Its a start and I am rather proud that I finally made it.

Things were looking promising until someone decided that my shed was easy pickings, let himself into it and liberated me of my nearly new leaf blower. The one I have only used once. Hmmph. I was less than impressed. Especially when  in the process of gaining entry,  they managed to mangle the shed door. Crap Crap Crapity Crap! This was an expense I was not wanting to entertain at the moment. Oh well, it is what it is.

Mike the Builder has agreed to replace the door for me, and he very  kindly brought  a board, his drill and secured the shed shut until said door can be replaced. Therefore my gardening tools and my lawnmower are safe inside and out of my reach. Thus the halt to the most of the gardening I had planned. I should have got them out before he barred the door but my brain is pudding these days and thinking quick and smart is just not how I roll these days.

I do have my grubber and my garden weasel so I can do some stuff. Thankfully I did not put my weed whacker in the shed this year so its still with me. I imagine it would have gone walk-a-bout had it been in the shed at the time of the break in. So I can do some stuff and in desperation I could weed whack the entire lawn before it gets tall enough to require goats.

Once the new door is on the shed, I will have to paint it. This may spur me on to paint the whole thing. I started a couple of years ago.

It used to be an ugly dark brown, so I painted it Heirloom White. Which really is cream, which I really really like but in no way matched the house. I ran out of paint and discovered that that particular colour is nowhere to be found.  I only got two sides of the shed done before the paint ran out. I am thinking now that white is a better choice. White never gets discontinued so maybe I will get the whole thing done. All four sides, how novel!!!  The roof is just going to have to stay the way it is for the foreseeable future. 

I wish the entire shed was spun around and the doors faced into the yard. The way it is now they open onto the back alley. Its a temptation to those who feel they have a right to things that do not belong to them. New doors will help for sure.

This does put a bit of a kink in my fence replacement plans. Replacing the fence will all have to be pondered, figured and reassessed. Those lottery people really need to get it together and cough up my share!!

POSTED LATER THE SAME DAY:

Look what I got today:  Mike the Builder is super fast and I am please to say I have a new shed door. Now I need to get paint: Take that you lawn blower liberators!!


I also did this today, I managed to get the piggy washtub painted at last and some plants purchased to fill it. It used to look like this:


Now it looks like this:


This may be the last year for this little tub. Its rusted through in places but I am hoping it hangs in there for a bit yet. I am rather fond of it. I need to properly plant the flowers in it but for now its the one spot of colour in my front yard, if you don't count the dandelions. I now can access the shed so mowing may happen tomorrow. Yikes!!

Toodles,
Linda 

No comments:

Post a Comment