Monday 12 May 2014

the Ups and the Downs

Busy weekend, well sort of, after a craptastic week at work. Every day I get more and more ready to be retired. Ever so quickly reaching my "sell by" date as far as this working malarky is concerned, you have no idea. I am ready to be done, to be on my own time table, if I could afford it, I would be done right this second. Money, its the root of the problem. Ah well, enough about that for now.

So Friday night the No Cook group hit the food court at the mall. Felt a little like a teenager, going to hang at the mall. It was fun. Lots of choice for supper. Lots of people watching to do and well, we always have a good time no matter where we go. I picked Chinese food and had an Orange Julius. I have not had one of those in years and I still like them!!

Saturday, E and I went out and took in a couple of flea markets in town and one giant yard sale at a school. Then we went to a lovely gift/decor/antique/cafe place for a delicious lunch. I of course bought some things. So whether you are interested or not I will show you what I got:

I paid an entire .25 cents for this little beauty. Its made from greeting cards and is badly faded. I really am not sure what I am going to do with it but for the price I can keep it, Pull it apart and fix it up with new thread or I can pass it on. I am just going to think on it for awhile.


A brooch and a vintage sugar shaker came home with me. I did not notice the crack in the sugar shaker lid but its still usable.


I collect pigs, I will probably always collect pigs. These two announced that they wanted to come home to my house with me. He looks like a dapper little Englishman, with his smart bow tie and waist coat. She is a dainty little lady with her sweet afternoon dress and heart shaped
reticule. Just perfect for an afternoon of paying calls.


I love, love, love these. They are cast iron, chippy painted, shabby chic, brackets that I have no idea what I am going to use them for but I will think of something.



Ok this sweet little cookie jar is blue and yellow and has a piggy on it. How could I not bring him home??? He was made for my kitchen. The fact that I have little to no counter space for him is neither here nor there. He lives in my kitchen now. I love his little clown face, cheeky little piggy.


This wine rack cost me $1,75 and I am happy with it. Some day it will get a coat of paint because its had some use but for now its holding the entire wine collection in this house. I have had a wine rack before but the last one I had if you even breathed on it the wine bottles fell off of it. This one holds the bottles quite nicely and for the price I paid I am content with my purchase.

Flea Market shopping was not all I did this weekend. I cleaned my kitchen, and I finished this:

It just needs to be run through the wash to get the quilting marks off of it. I love the vintage fabrics in this quilt. So much work went into appliqueing the butterflies. I am so happy I got to quilt it and turn it into the quilt it was meant to be.

Then I dug out my fabric stash and started on this scrap quilt. Its for my bed. I do not have any quilts that fit a queen sized bed. Mamabug generously gave me a queen bed that they no longer needed some time ago and I am just now finally getting around to making some quilts that actually fit the bed. Next will be the one that will be the bed spread but I am still looking for a pattern that inspires me. This quilt is being made of squares that I have cut and tucked in a box thinking I would do something with them some day. I have almost used up my pre cut squares but its ok, I have LOTS of material in this house that I can chop[up and add to. Its just print and white 3 inch squares. I like the old fashioned feel of it. A true scrap quilt.

This past Saturday would have been my Mom's 91st birthday and Sunday was Mother's day. When you have no Mom and are nobody's Mom it can get to you sometimes. To be honest this is the one time of the year when I really feel alone. I get over it, and its not anything anyone can "fix". I have been included on Mother's day celebrations and its very nice but it does not take away that feeling. So I try and keep my mind off it and keep busy. The days pass and life clicks back into my normal routine. It is how it is. The one thing that did make me feel a small warm glow, is that Miss Mouse was celebrating Mother's Day this year with that precious little Tater Tot and that is a wonderful thing.

Toodles,

Linda


No comments:

Post a Comment