Sunday 22 March 2020

Social Distancing .... Nailed it

In this strange time where this virus has us all under its thumb, I think I have social distancing perfected. I usually go to the odd movie with a friend, KitKat and I go or supper once per week and of course the No Cooks observe our traditional weekly supper/coffee date on Friday. That is what I do and the rest of the time I mostly spend at home, I get groceries, I nip out to the odd secondhand store, a craft/fabric store now and then and to Shoppers Drug mart. In these days of being isolated, I have given up the going out, I still go shopping for necessities but not for fun. I stay home and do my thing and pray that people stay safe, that this strange situation passes and we can resume normal activities. I sort of live this life most of the time normally.

My work is considered an essential service so we will not close. Social assistance needs to be administered and we need to keep people looked after. We have made changes and taken steps for everyone's safety. We have limited public access. We have changed shifts and have moved to a call center format.

That is fun I can tell you. I have done two shifts on the phone and it is non stop. The minute the handset hits the cradle it rings again. Concerned questions, not necessary questions, demands, inquiries, questions about extra funding, inquiries over what we are doing and what is happening. People are scared and concerned and want to know there is someone there to listen, to help and to hear them no matter what they are asking about. We do three shifts, two of which are to man the phones and one to try to keep the assistance moving. Its wild because we are flying by the seat of our pants with solutions still being worked out. Its just taken our normal month end business and magnified it a great big bunch. We are now dealing with most of the province not just our little area. Fun times!!

So that is the new norm for these days and I have two more weeks of it. Then I will slip quietly into retirement. Its seems surreal

So this weekend I did not go out and get breakfast, I made my own at home. I could use some fruit, some eggs and bread but I am not to the point where I have nothing. I would just normally replace this stuff if things were normal but they are not.  I decided not to bother going out. I am good and its was child tax credit day of Friday so I figured families that depend on that money for groceries would need to be shopping far more than I. I can go another day.

I worked on the never ending cleaning of the kitchen. That kitchen is my arch enemy. It wins the battle far more than I do. I bagged garbage, loaded up the recycle bin, collected the compost and did the dishes as much as I could. I now have to get all of this hauled to the dumpsters. At this time of the year my back sidewalk becomes a skating rink. I park at the front because I am petrified of slipping and hurting myself. SO I have been known to put the stuff in the car and driving it round to the back. Its all such a big deal. Walking that many times back and forth to the car because I cannot carry much at one time, its just frustrating. It takes so long to get anything done. By the time you have the old mess out a new one has blossomed. Deep sigh of frustration.

Enough about my first world problems. I did get the next row sewn for my Row by Row Quilt as You Go sewn up. I have three rows done now and I think once I can get some backing for the quilt I will start the "quilt as you go method". I YouTubed it and I think it will be fun.


Its much bluer in person, and what looks cram in the photo is more pale yellow. I have not been able to get a good picture. I am very pleased with this quilt so far.

I finally took pictures of the two other completed quilts,

.

I made chili, a big pot of it. Well I tried to make chili, it turned into more of a soup but whatever you want to call it, it made a big pot full. I did not have all the ingredients on hand for chili but I had enough to improvise. This little project cleaned up the veggies that were in the fridge on the verge of turning on me. Wasting food is even more of a sin and shame during these times. I let that happen way too much in this house. 


It may have an identity crisis but the stuff in this bowl is pretty darn tasty. Plus it kicks that "what will I have for lunch? supper?" out of the ball park for a while anyway. 

Today I have been doing laundry, knitting for the donation bag and watching tv. I have lots of stuff taped and there is always Netflix and YouTube. That will keep me entertained.  Book Club is on hold, No Cook Friday is on hold and for the most part we are staying home and doing as we should to help end the spread of this virus. 

So far I have been feeling fine, which I am beyond grateful for. My immune system is still crap and I seem to catch anything that is going around but so far so good. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this keeps up. 

Wash your hands, take care and stay safe. This too shall pass.

Toodles
Linda



No comments:

Post a Comment