Saturday 14 April 2018

Walmart Walk-a-thon

So the week is over, today is wonderful Saturday.  As it was Saturday I could not understand why I was laying in bed, wide awake at stupid o'clock this morning when I could have been sleeping. During the week I can hardly force myself up but on Saturday its a whole different story. As I lay there fuming I heard birds singing. My faith in the world was restored. We seem to be having the winter that never ends and bird song gave me hope that we would eventually see the last of the snow, and some green things once again. I have visions of what I want to do in the yard dancing in my head these days and I have high hopes that this year will be the year it actually happens.

On Friday when I dragged my butt out of bed and into the cold, I left this behind, sound asleep and snuggled under my covers, in my bed!!


Little paw tucked up by her face. At that moment I deeply wanted to be a cat. Instead I went to work.

Today I did something I have not done in more than a year. Awhile ago I get myself a goal and today I managed it.


I picked up my groceries (not part of the goal) and then took myself to Walmart. I actually went inside and bought myself some peppers and some chicken breasts. I only managed to walk to the chicken but that is  a milestone for me and my pinched nerve and arthritic knee ( one leg for each). I got the chicken, got through the till and back to my car. I was awash with excitement. My next goal is to make it to the garbage bags next time. (I live a wild and crazy life.) All kidding aside this is big for me. After Walmart I made it to Michaels. I wanted yarn for a blanket for Sweet Pea but they did not have enough of the colour I wanted.Its on sale all week so I will check back. I picked up some scrapbooking do-dads because a 50% off coupon cannot be ignored. After my walk-a-thon, I headed home. You know this means I walked the length of Michaels as well as my stroll through Walmart. Me poor old pinched nerve was screaming like a banshee by the time I got back to the car but I DID IT. This means I can start to get back some of my independence.  This is big I tell you, very big. I can keep working on this and get back to doing for myself.

I have decided I need one of those old people grocery cart thingys to get my groceries from the car to the house. Using the cane limits my ability to carry all the groceries at one time and making a number of trips may be good for me but it makes me grumpy and annoyed.  I want to get a cart. I can pile stuff into it and pull it to the house. Less gumpy making and I can get exercise in other ways.  I have added this to my "want" list. 

I purged the spice drawer!! I purged the bejeebus out of it. Here we go with the gratuitous before and after shots. Before


and now it looks like this:  After


Its a joy to close the drawer on the first try, not having to rearrange the spices at least three times before the drawer will slide shut.

I finally recovered Teddy Bear's chair seat!! I have had it to do for months. The grandchildren were a little hard on it. Before and After.




Super simple job and I am so happy I could do this for her.

More good things have been happening. I got the transmission fixed on the car, (drunken happy dance of joy)  the brakes will get done at some point in time, (some time soon). The guys at the garage agreed that this was the smartest thing to do first. Nice to know I can make the right decision once in a while.

What else is going on??  I am still working on the purge,/clean of the house. Every time I think I am gaining ground I look at the place and its doesn't seem to be any different. I continue though. I will win this battle, I am resolved to it. It will be so nice when the ice in the back yard melts. What does that have to do with cleaning the house .... well  when that happens taking out the garbage is not a death defying event. In fact. for a period of time at the end of winter, beginning of spring  I don't take it out the back. When the back sidewalk is at its icy watery death trap best, I take the garbage out the front, into the trunk of the car and I drive it round the block to the dumpster. It looks crazy but I would rather be crazy than end up with some part of me broken, bent or sprained.

This afternoon I have mostly been knitting. I wore the legs out on my big adventure this morning so I spent the rest of the day knitting. The Banker has asked for a pair of slippers and three dishcloths. I just have one slipper left to do. I did not knit that all today just two dishcloths. I have the second slipper started and will get back at it once I am done blogging. Tomorrow I am baking butter tarts for a coworker then I am going to try and get the backing sewn together for my quilt.

I have decided to use the flannelette I have on hand for the majority of the backing then I will get some white to go around the edges where it will be seen. I was going to buy new stuff but I have so much on hand, it really needs to be used. This way I will save myself some pennies and help with the purge at the same time. The top is all blue and white so I want it to look nice when its on the bed. White around the edge will work a treat.  I want to get quilting it and get it done. The matching curtains will be faded to the point of garbaging them at the rate I am going. The quilting is going to be the star of this piece so I want to get on it.

So that's about it for now. I hope all is well in your little corner of the world.

Toodles,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment