Wednesday 26 May 2021

Big Girl Pants

On Monday I went to get a grocery order. I walked by my flower beds and it was very evident that my wishing for rain did nothing but bring forth the weeds in abundance. Later when I got home I sat on the veranda for a few minutes and surveyed the situation. 

Weed, weeds and more weeds. I could not see the hostas, the spirea shrubs across the font of the yard looked like they were dead as door nails. All I could think of was the expense to replace the plants, the time effort and pain that taking care of the weeds would take. Would I have to pay someone to do it, I can't afford that at the moment, It just suddenly became way to much and I got totally overwhelmed. 

So in the true sense of being a sensible, mature grown up, I took myself into the house, into the craft room and immediately dove headfirst into  my happy place and didn't come up for air for the rest of the day. I have got myself over my snit thankfully. Yesterday I gave myself a talking to.

Truth be told I need to do this stuff myself, pain and slowness be damned, I need to do it. I have started to attack the weeds and I will do it bit by bit. . I have made peace with the face that its going to take a long time but who cares?? I can do it. Good news it that the hostas have poked their little heads out of the ground and the shrubs (all of them) have finally begun to leaf out. Even the lilac bushes look like they may rally this year, both of them. I thought they were gone but there may be hope.  My bank account is eternally grateful.

While I was having my toddler meltdown in the craft room I finally took a stab at something I have not really done before, needle turned applique. I was gifted these incomplete Sunbonnet Sue blocks some time ago and I finally decided to try doing something with them.



 I think I did a decent job and I do enjoy the process. I am looking at this quilt as a practice run for a quilt I plan to make for myself. Now I have figured out I can actually do a reasonable job at it I am not so apprehensive to work on the one for me.


I have no idea what I will do with this quilt once its done but I am have a good time working on it. Some blocks are machine quilted, some have not been quilted at all, Its going to be interesting getting it put together but I will be happy to do it. I am now at a point where I can start putting the blocks together. Some face one way and some face the other, six are boys and the rest are girls. I think I have finally settled on a lay out pattern. 


I'm not going to machine quilt it, Its not my thing but I will hand quilt the blocks that need to be finished. The blocks that the other lady worked on are done to a very high standard. Her husband would like picture of the finished quilt. His wife passed away before she could get it done. I had, and actually still have a Sunbonnet Sue quilt my aunt made me as a child, Its not as fancy as this one but I love it. 

We are still in serious lock down, the weather is still cold, my furnace keeps cutting in, Such fun!!  have run out of news so I am going to work on my boy quilt blocks so I can get this quilt together.

Toodles 

Linda



No comments:

Post a Comment